Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,476 Posts
somehow got the impression that alto flute was known as the "jazz flute", though i'm not familiar with much jazz recording besides Pharoah Sanders and Joe Henderson on Blue Nile for Alice Coltrane. most memorable for the breaks in You Got to Hide Your Love Away and California Dreaming. but i got to echo the Doc's fondness for it. very beautiful, especially in the low end. makes me want to explore bass flute, though i'm not sure what i can grab except maybe a Jupiter.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
1. You only get a few notes out of each breath.
2. It is very soft.
yeah, i briefly tried one out when i bought my alto at Chuck Levin's in DC. hyperventilating real quick. and a quick look on the net suggests they tend to be pretty dang expensive. but if i had one lying around, i'd surely mic it up and listen to how it sets in a mix.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
One caveat on alto flute. Unless you have a curved head, you will be extending your arms while supporting the instrument. Tennis elbow, back and neck problems can result. The C flute is not as heavy and your arms are not extended as far. I solved my elbow problem by replacing 5he straight head with a curved.
that's a drag. i like the intonation on the straight head, and have been playing the alto right regular for 10 years. but i did get tennis elbow after taking a liking to a 90" Dunlop, before switching back to a 97" Head. (now, when i see a regular C flute, i always misappropriate the old Crocodile Dundee line. "You call that a flute? THAT's a flute.")

1 - 3 of 3 Posts