Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
In terms of doubling for sax, clarinet comes first, then flute. Clarinet is a given...flute not so much.

The alto flute is a wonderful instrument, but very few gigs (I’ve had one show call for it in 2 years: reed 1 on Annie). As someone said earlier, expect to pay a lot more for an alto over a c flute...and if gigging makes s really your interest, piccolo is far more important...I’ve had two shows this year call for piccolo, in addition to saxes and clarinet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One caveat on alto flute. Unless you have a curved head, you will be extending your arms while supporting the instrument. Tennis elbow, back and neck problems can result. The C flute is not as heavy and your arms are not extended as far. I solved my elbow problem by replacing 5he straight head with a curved.

I’ve used alto in a chamber jazz trio and a couple of shows, Annie has two exposed solos on alto flute....I “need” it maybe once a year. Alto flute is normally required in flute choirs...I’ve never been called to play a payingflute choir gigs. Anyone else?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts