Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a lightly used almost new sax. Well after getting what I thought was a good deal, great treatment form the dealer, I went home feeling quite good about the A5-B Ice Alto I had bought for my son.

"This sir is the a5-B Ice Alto, comes with two necks, a regular and fat neck" - On inspecting the sax I ask "Show me the fat neck" and she shows me a nickel plated neck. OK, looks good, I sign the deal and head on home. Bear in mind I have never seen a cannonball stone series alto before.

Well, just out of curiosity I stumble across a picture of the fat neck on the web, and lo and behold I do not have a fat neck, but two regular necks. The fat neck has been replaced with a brand new gold neck.

Now the fun begins, send an email to the dealer asking them to check and see if they made a mistake, maybe they have switched the necks, maybe there are two fat necks in a case somewhere - follow up with a phone call and they tell me, "we checked and no, that's how we received the sax - if you want the fat neck, we can check with cannonball and order one for you - you will have to pay for it" !!! huh *** !!

I told them I will be coming by at lunchtime to sort this out and that no, it was their mistake, and that they need to fix their mistake.

I'm wondering what this does to the value of this sax, ok it has two necks, but without the fat neck I'm thinking I'm going to have to ask for less if I sell it!!

I'm not too happy right now. :scratch:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
If the sales man tells you your are buying a fat neck then he needs to supply you a fat neck at his expense end of story. The nerve of the shop to tell you the price of a fat neck falls on you. This is very shady business practice.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Where are you located? I remember seeing a young lady from the UK on youtube who had just bought a Cannonball alto (brand new). Her's came with two standard necks as well...one silver (nickle), one gold. I sent her a message asking her why she didn't get a fat neck, and her response was that (according to her dealer) those were the only necks available on new Cannonballs in the UK. It didn't sound right to me, but apparently a lot of people have gotten screwed out of the fat necks...at least in the UK.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you William, just sent him a PM.

I'm in Wichita Kansas.

As it turns out, it looks like I may be SOL - I went down to the the dealership all fired up ready to fight. Well this particular sax did not ship from Cannonball with a fat neck, it originally came with two regular necks - the later shipments did. It was an honest mistake and the salesperson was under the impression that all stone series altos shipped with a fat neck - as every stone sax she has sold had one. She was too nice and apologized for her mistake, I left a little deflated. I could return it, but my sons birthday is in two weeks ... man oh man!

I am trying to find a demo or lightly used one, and will then sell the gold neck - it is unused and in mint condition.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess I'll just have to sit tight then, sent randall a PM.

The sale rep just got back to me, its going to cost me $250+tax (+- $270 total) - have not heard what trade they'd give me for the gold neck.

Told them my budget is $200, I don't want to be out too many dollars with the trade ........................

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's good you're checking with Randall. New Cannonball Stone series do come with a Fat Neck and a matching neck. The fact that it's lightly used may have something to do with your problem with the seller. Some sellers try to hold on to the Fats so they can sell them seperately. I know of a guy (not technically a dealer) who used to do this. Not Cool!!!
I hope they can make this right for you.
rr

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,446 Posts
I prefer the Fatneck over the regular neck on my Cannonball tenor, and there is a definite difference in sound AND feel. You can hear it on recordings. For the alto, I really didn't notice much of a difference in sound OR feel. There was no notable difference when I listened to them recorded either.

I don't think not having a Fatneck decreases the value any. When Cannonball started shipping one with the BBSS a few years ago, there wasn't a big price change.

If your son's birthday is in two weeks: I would keep the communication lines open between the shop and Cannonball, but keep the sax as is. Let him play test it extensively with the necks that came with it. If he really doesn't like them, make an exchange. He might find he really likes the sound and feel of one or both of them. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Maybe a new Fatneck could be a Christmas gift...If you order it through the shop, Cannonball will let you choose whatever finish and stone you want from their stock. $250+tax is a good price.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news to report back. Randal got in touch with me and helped resolve this where the outcome was acceptable to all involved.

Cannonball not only make a great sax, they really are a good company.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wow! That's nice to hear. Kind of restores a bit of my faith in people who sell saxophones (but only a bit). Great outcome and speaks really well for Cannonball and for Randall. And Happy Birthday to your son, CrazeeAyDee. You're a terrific Dad for supporting your son's playing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts