Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing a #9 Quantum on tenor for a couple of years now and really like it. I'm new to alto and play tested a #7 custom yesterday. I love it! and feel pretty comfortable with it. But I've had several say that alto players should start out with a #6 opening. Opinions?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Play what's comfortable. You've been playing a larger opening on tenor, so I see no reason to back off from an opening on alto that you already can play comfortably. If you were just starting out on alto with no previous sax experience, it might make sense, but that's not the case for you.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Intonation control after playing for a while (hour+) would be the only concern. This is not found out in a short play test.

I played a Quantum 12 on tenor for several years. At .110" this is not a huge tip opening on tenor for a high baffle mouthpiece. Your Q 9 is around a .099" tip.

I play a Custom 8 on alto. Mine measures at a .084" tip. Going .020"-.025" smaller on alto is typical. That would put you at .074-.079". So I would say an alto 6 would be a better fit unless you are starting to feel your tenor mouthpiece is a little small.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see... I also noticed that I was have some trouble getting the high notes to speak, would a closer tip opening and a harder reed fix this?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
you might want to use as hard of reed as you can and still get low b to speak softly. also the embouchure for the palm notes are different from the alto to the tenor. you need a smaller oral cavity to speed up the air and you don't want to bite the notes sharp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts