Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about this mouthpiece?

I think it is a bigger tip size and not readily available.

What modern metal mouthpiece, like Theo Wanne, would be most like it?

Would it be good for pop/contemporary.

My main pieces are Navarro Maestra Marble 5 for Jazz and a Theo Wanne NY Bros 2.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I can tell you that a 120 is a big opening on tenor and is hard to control and exhausting to play. As you can see from the chart below, 120 is an insane opening for alto and isn't even on the chart. It's not even close to being on the chart. So, no, there's nothing like it. It would be damn near impossible to control and would not be good for any type of music. Yes, there may be one or two freaks of nature out there who could handle this thing, but it ain't for mortals like us.

I used to play a 125 on tenor. As I got older, it was harder to stay in good enough shape to play it. So I went to 120 for some years, then ultimately to a comfortable 115. I also like open mouthpieces on alto, but if I go too open (90 or more), playing in tune takes a huge amount of effort. Around 80 is the sweet spot for me on alto. You're coming from some very closed mouthpieces. Going to a 120 on alto would be like blowing into an open pipe. You'd be lucky if you were able to get a sound out of it at all. You need to pass on this one and go for something reasonable.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was a big tip opening. I had a 125 tenor that was very nice. It was not hard to play I just used a soft reed or filed one down.

I'm wondering what mouthpiece and model this would most be like in the theo wanne line up or other brands with respect to baffle, chamber, facing etc. Like I don't know what the 2 or the sms means.

·
Registered
116 Posts
IIRC the Berg Larsen system is tip opening/baffle type/facing. The baffle types go from 0 (very high, a lot of baffle) to 3 (very low), 2 would be very moderate. 120 would be the tip opening, though Theo Wanne's page says they tend to run a little smaller, so .115 as the likely real opening size. SMS is a short facing they call "French style", M is a medium facing they call "American style".

They do still make them, though I hear they are not super consistent. Here is their guide: Berg Larsen | How to Choose

Arthur Blythe apparently played a metal Berg, a 95/1.

Here is Theo Wanne's page on Berg Larsen: Berg Larsen Mouthpieces | Theo Wanne

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I thought it was a big tip opening. I had a 125 tenor that was very nice. It was not hard to play I just used a soft reed or filed one down.

I'm wondering what mouthpiece and model this would most be like in the theo wanne line up or other brands with respect to baffle, chamber, facing etc. Like I don't know what the 2 or the sms means.
See the numbers across the top, those are the tip opening in thousandths of an inch. The Berg is roughly 120, probably closer to 115. The chart stops at 105. You'd have to add 2 or 3 more imaginary columns to go that high and would be up to a Theo Wanne 12 or 13, which doesn't exist.

Berg baffle goes 0 to 3, brightest to darkest. 2 should be relatively tame. I play a 0 or 1 to get the brightness I want.

SMS means a short facing. I like an M or SMS, but it's all a matter of what's comfortable for you.

Yes, soft reeds are easy to play on big tips. But the drawback is super soft reeds wear out fast and can sound thin, and intonation can be a crap shoot. Better to go for a balance. A bit more closed, and a bit harder reed can give you a fuller, steadier sound over all.

Here's a good explanation of Berg numbers:

EDIT: I see the previous poster posted the same exact thing at the same time.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,246 Posts
I had one, though it was 120/1SMS. In Mexico during many years the main store for musical instruments Casa Veerkamp only had Berg Larsen's 110 or 120 either for tenor or alto. Other pieces could be found in different sizes, specially Selmers. Then the supply went not as fluid and e-Commerce made them to stop selling many brands. They were the official distributor of Selmer Paris during years. Not anymore.

About the piece I tried it and I liked it. It was good for pop and rock and it did roar!!! The reeds I used with it were Java Green's No. 2. I ended playing with the 110 better and after years I changed for Vandoren Jumbo Java A45. There is a Vandoren Jumbo Java A75 that is closer to that openings and I believe there are still around some A95 which might be as the Berg's 120.

I stoped playing Berg Larsen when they moved from England to Belgium and IMO the specifications changed not for the better, al least for me.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
FWIW - I have a 95 / 1 / SMS Berg recently refaced and its a not difficult at all to play. You have a 120? are you sure its an alto piece? As per the recent discussions about Guardala pieces having big tips. If you have enough baffle this will make life easier. Your Berg 2 chamber will be less closed so "maybe" you could eventually tame it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,795 Posts

My main pieces are Navarro Maestra Marble 5 for Jazz and a Theo Wanne NY Bros 2.

Thanks guys.
Why don't you stop beating around the bush and just tell us what the * you're looking for? Why did you pick that exact make and facing? Do you have one? Are you trying to find something similar? C'mon, spill the beans!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,862 Posts

Thanks guys.
I have Link 9* (0.110") tip on alto with 2.5 Rico Royal reed, if I play alto (about once every two years!). For me it's easy to play, but I play huge tips on tenor (Florida Link 10*, which measures 0.138") and am used to it.

As others have said Berg's always measure less then stamped, so a 120/2 will probably be 115/2. Still very big if you come from a tip 5 alto piece (and I remember from your older posts that you also prefer smaller tips on tenor).

Berg's normally play very easy (if the facing is not crooked) and can often generate a loud and gritty sound (also in a /2 chamber). I have a 150/2 SMS (= 0.150") tenor Berg and it plays like my 10* Florida Link), so I'm sure the alto Berg 120/2 will play with a softer reed.

I think that you can compare the Berg to a Durga from the TW models. I have a 12* Durga for tenor, which is comparable with the 150/2 Berg (but I prefer the Berg of those two).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts