Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a slightly used Jupiter alto sax. It appears to have been taken good care of and plays wonderfully in the whole range except for the bell notes starting with the right hand pinky (Eb). The Bell notes will not speak in the upper or lower register. Any suggestions for what to look for?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
the bell notes in the upper register? They shouldn't play really....
check for leaks or have it checked for leaks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
Well... bell notes I thought are low B/ low Bb (maybe C#)?

Yes, check for leaks but also if you have this problem already with low Eb (and its octave) also key height might come into play. You may have to shave the felt on the keyguard to have the Eb and C keys open more.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe I need to clarify some. I can't get the right hand pinky note to speak in either register. Whats weird is every other key (including the ring finger note) plays great. The nearest tech is 2 hours away and I won't be able to make that trip for a while. Are there any pads in particular that I should check for leaks? Or should the open height of the bell keys be adjusted?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents worth if you still have the problem. I had a similar problem with bell keys. It was my G# key. A person from this forum told me to press the "F" key, then the G#. The G# opened back up just a tiny bit. That solved my problem. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Your nearest tech is 2 hours away, but is there an experienced player any closer? Adjusting key heights and fixing leaks isn't something you want to mess with, until you are familiar with how the horn works.

If getting an experienced player to check out your horn isn't possible, try clicking on the MusicMedic banner ad at the top right corner of the page. The instructions are pretty clear and the support is great.

Good luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Loprofyle is on the right track as far as what was wrong with my 82z when I got it. But he didn't tell you how to fix that. Do just what he said, and the key that opens up, there should be an arm with a screw in it just over it. Turn it about 90 degrees to the right. This will put it closer and make the G# key seal. If that isn't enough then turn more, if it is too much turn back. Gl :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oops... Sorry I didn't go into detail. I've had a couple Jupiters(767) and they did have the adjustment screws. I might add that you can overadjust the screw and make your "F" leak. A leak light would come in handy here. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yes a leak light will save you tons of money in the future. With a bit of practice you can do your own repadding and other stuff. Or pick up a POS C mel at a pawn shop for $50 and make it play. I like pawn shops, if they don't charge way too much for what they have, they don't know what it is and you can practically talk them into giving it to you. Great way to make a big mouthpiece collection. :) Oh and GL :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Loprofyler said:
Oops... Sorry I didn't go into detail. I've had a couple Jupiters(767) and they did have the adjustment screws. I might add that you can overadjust the screw and make your "F" leak. A leak light would come in handy here. Good luck. :D
My suggestion is always to adjust the screw only by small incremental turns and trying the "play F and then press the G# key." Check, adjust, repeat.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd check the D pad first. Eb is the first note that the D key must be closed for. If the notes above Eb are also somewhat hard to sound the problem could be anywhere, but the usual culprits are G# and the left hand palm keys, which are the first pads to go from moisture damage. The Eb pad is another bad one for moisture damage, but, since it is sprung closed, pressing the key opens it, and a leaking Eb would affect D and everything below, but not Eb.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had a similar problem on my bari, I just thought about this. The notes below Eb and below were very hard to get out. Then I noticed my D key was wiggling. So I took a look at it and no screw there. I then spent a few hours trying to find a screw that would fit, but for some reason the Yamaha screws would not work on the Yamaha horn. It baffled me. Finally I looked at he G# key and right behind it was the rod sticking out. I felt like an idiot. The rod was just loose. Know I know to check to see if it is a rod or screw right away. Anyway, could you have a loose rod/missing screw on that D key?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts