Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my fellow horn players! I am new here, and I am looking for a site where I can get free Alto and Tenor Saxophone major scales in all 12 keys. My book only has the key of G,D and I forget what else.

Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Welcome to SotW, googling around a bit will get you some answers but clicking here will get you through the weekend. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Grumpie, That is really helpful! Any chance of the same sort of thing for Minor scales and pentatonics etc? Really useful and MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Colin B said:
Grumpie, That is really helpful! Any chance of the same sort of thing for Minor scales and pentatonics etc? Really useful and MUCH appreciated!
You're welcome, seems the small hint wasn't noted ;) , Google and a search here will come up with some answers.

Here's some minor
Here's the homepage, just browse a bit
Here's some more, lot's of info on Jazzpath and Jaz-o-Matic.
And here's almost everything

Time to hit the shed.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Grumpie, you are a hero! I've just got onto the Jazz-Path website. Absolutely Brilliant! Couldn't ask for more. Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Let's keep it nice, this is a place to enjoy, learn, find inspiration or whatever and actually I do agree with ssleb. It first crossed my mind to give a similar answer but on the other hand these jazz-path pages also give some extra exercisis per scale.
Figuring these out yourselves does give a better understanding on the scales etc. Oh well, have fun with them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Colin B said:
And my opinion is that I don't really care what your opinion is.
Wow that was unneccessary.

The fact is, if you understand how a major or minor scale is built, you don't need to memorize all 24, they'll just come flying out when you need them. It'll also make learning other scales easier by seeing the relationships, modulations, and alterations to the tonic and aeolian scales (major & minor, respectively).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,031 Posts
Colin B said:
And my opinion is that I don't really care what your opinion is.
Very unnecessary. This was rude and uncalled for.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
And actually it's really good advice. Those patterns are really useful - in fact they're about the only thing I know for sure (because I have a particular problem with memory) and I know I can always go back to them when I need to work something else out, especially the major scale, from which so much else is derived :)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I've never really been able to wrap my head around using those patterns for quickly coming up with scales. I have a cycle of 5ths showing the key signature for each key and the relative minor pasted to the wall in my practice room. After a couple of years of practice and internalizing the cycle of 5ths, it's pretty well second nature now to know the major and minor scales from memory.

I guess everyone has a different way of internalizing things.

In the interest of piling on, I think ssleb is owed an apology.

·
Registered
45 Posts
cleger said:
I've never really been able to wrap my head around using those patterns for quickly coming up with scales. I have a cycle of 5ths showing the key signature for each key and the relative minor pasted to the wall in my practice room. After a couple of years of practice and internalizing the cycle of 5ths, it's pretty well second nature now to know the major and minor scales from memory.

I guess everyone has a different way of internalizing things.

In the interest of piling on, I think ssleb is owed an apology.

Agreed! I use circle of 5ths and 4ths. It really just depends on on how I feel that day. Its all memorization when it come to major and/minor scales I use the cycles, but for the new stuff ( octatonic, whole tone, all those modes...) I memorize the pattern and practice it until it becomes easy and I don't have to think about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im new here also, i know my scales, but im too lazy to write them down! Needed the scales for All-State....Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
JazzItUp said:
Hello my fellow horn players! I am new here, and I am looking for a site where I can get free Alto and Tenor Saxophone major scales in all 12 keys.
Here are a few linbks on constructing scales. Please take the time to check these out.
http://cnx.org/content/m10856/latest/

http://www.musictheory.halifax.ns.ca/12minor_scales.html

Click here for a PDF of 12 major scales and 36 minor scales by bandfolio.com. This is available online for free. I have downloaded it for you and placed the link below.
www.epiphanybullterriers.com/allscales.pdf

Now go practice!
HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
many minor modes

HUTMO said:
Here are a few linbks on constructing scales. Please take the time to check these out.
http://cnx.org/content/m10856/latest/
IMHO, HUTMO has provided a particularly good link, because it discusses different kinds of minor scales, including Dorian. If you want to play jazz, you'll be getting aquainted with Dorian sooner or later. Even if not, both the natural and the harmonic minor are common, and even the melodic minor comes up (although not as often, I think.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks ssleb, that code is really useful for me to cary in my newby head of grey hair. So much easier than the cards I keep as prompts.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts