Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys

Ive been working on altissimo everyday for a few months now. Im fine up to F# but G3, no way. Im using fingerings from Teals art of saxophone which has multiple alternate fingerings but G is still not happening - with any of them. :(

Has anyone got hints on fingering a G3 on a V1 tenor?
Any other hints and tips that might make any of this happen?

I know I should be patient but Ive been at it a while and its driving me mad. Horn is in tiptop shape so no chance of blaming equipment either.

Any help appreciated

Dave.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
So how long are you playing sax? I started overtones and altissimo after playing sax for 5 years. My perfect G3 on my MK VI tenor is left hand front F, right hand side Bb and F#

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been playing for 16 years.
I know its late in the day to be learning altissimo but I always thought rightly or wrongly, that I should concentrate on getting patterns/licks/sound etc absolutely nailed in the keyed range before venturing into the higher octaves.

I'm now playing more rock and pop than jazz and altissimo is pretty much a requirement. Also trying to develop my sound further and working on altissimo seems to help across the whole range. Maybe should have worked on it sooner.

I'll try that fingering - thanks Dr

Dave.

·
Registered
137 Posts
2 fingerings that I use are:
#1 Just the front F key - I use this one 98% of the time
#2 LH 1 and 3 plus RH 3.

some folks like to have the front F tweaked a little bit so that the key doesn't open as far. Maybe you can try fingering a 1st leger line B and gradually opening the front F with your right hand. Know what I mean? Maybe that cursed G3 will pop right out if F isn't opened so far? G3 is the hardest, and most temperamental note in the altissimo IMO. Also...practicing overtones WILL make altissimo easier, even if not right away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
matty said:
G3 is the hardest, and most temperamental note in the altissimo IMO.
Now you tell me! I've also been working on altissimo in the last couple of weeks and only got the G3 to pop "okay" on one occasion! Dave and I sound like we're coming at this from pretty much the same direction! I've read a bunch of posts in the altissimo and multiphonics thread so hopefully it'll become a regular occurence. The G3 really seems to be a problem child! And I really need that G3 in a couple songs as well!

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep working on it as well!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I use about 8 different ways to play that G, but my favourite and best is this:

LH: 1 3 lowBb RH:1 3 sideBb and lowC (just playing low Bb without middlefingers and add side Bb)

IMO opnion the G3 is the easiest altissimonote. I always keep having trouble with the E4 (I can get up to D5)

Well, good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matty
I tried and tried front f only. This is fingering a teacher once showed me for G. However he did say that selmers are notoriously difficult on G3 and that I should try a bunch of alternate fingerings. Anyway I will keep at it and try the other suggestions here too.

I do regular overtone exercises so that should be helping. Im hoping its just going to click into place at some point ... soon :?

In the meantime it sounds like someone roasting a cat in my house :shock:

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the front F is opening the F palm key too much your G3 will be more difficult to play. It should act as an octave vent for that note so make sure that palm F is opening very slightly. Try what matty suggest by playing 1st finger B and slightly opening the palm F key.

The lower the F palm key is adjusted the more stuffy your front F & E will sound. Especially the E. I don.t worry about that too much since I only use those fingerings in fast passages.

I don't think Selmers are any more difficult with that note than other horns. Mostly depends on the horn's adjustment and the player.

If your horn has a high F# try playing 1st finger B with the high F# key.
My favorite though is still the front F and side Bb.

·
1,404 Posts
I use the front F and side Bb. A good way to practice is to play alt E, F, F#, and slide up to the G. That will help you voice the note properly.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I strongly recommend Rascher's Top Tones book for Tone Development and Altissimo studies. Make sure to read the written material before working on the excercises to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Progress!
I tried Mattys suggestion of playing b3 and opening the F by hand and low and behold out pops the G. The F has to be only very very slightly open though ... any more and the G breaks up into a squeal.

So it looks like I may have to get the F palm key lowered radically although as Nitetimer points out thats going to stuff E and F. (Its currently about 1/2" and seems to work at around 1/10th".)

Thanks everyone - I feel happier already :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Okay, now let me throw in something to try.

You should be able to hit G3 by fingering a B2 and voicing it up a harmonic, you should have a beautiful and in tune G3 pop out.

It may help if you add side Bb while doing it. Differnent horns etc.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe I wouldn't get it lowered that much. Keep working on the 2 hand thing and see if you can get it with the key open slightly further each day. That way, if you are successful, the e and f won't be horribly stuffy, only moderately so. Nice work, man

·
Registered
730 Posts
I find G3 works very well on my Selmer VII alto with LH 1+bis, G#, side Bb and high F# key. Pops right out for me, works on Yani B901 too.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
maestroelite said:
I find G3 works very well on my Selmer VII alto with LH 1+bis, G#, side Bb and high F# key. Pops right out for me, works on Yani B901 too.
What if one's horn does not have the high F# key?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Try the front F key, side Bb, and NO octave key. This is my favorite MKVI tenor fingering for G3.(For F#3, same thing. with bis key). Both notes work better WITHOUT the octave key.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Front f key works the best. You've got to hear it to play it. Listen to the really great altissimo players like Coltrane (Ballads) or Rick Margitza (both Otto Link players, by the way) that nail the notes (not squeak them out like the R&B players). The fingerings in "Top Tones" all work well for me on the MarkVI.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW my tenor does not have a high f# key.
I will definitely do more work on this before considering getting the horn tweaked as I'm happy with the setup apart from this particular problem.
I have a good range of suggestions to go at here so I'm hoping I can find a workaround - at least I have now got the note to speak so I know I am capable of producing it.
Thanks for your help everyone. Appreciate it.

·
1,404 Posts
I hate to rely on gear for all the answers, but I've got to point out that my SDA tenor was only so-so in the altissimo response until I got my Barone neck. G3 was particularly tough. Now it is a piece of cake. Go Barone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts