Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!.. i'm trying to develop my altissimo range... and and can easily take the altissimos with a loose embouchure (my regular) the problem is that the altissimos are damn flat, almost a half tone... and if i try to get them i need to squeeze a lot and that f*** my embouchure.. what am i do wrong?

i use this fingerings

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxophone-altissimo.html

thanks for your help

·
Registered
49 Posts
You need to practise harmonics as well as scales and long tones on your Mpc, this will teach your oral cavity to be in the correct position for the pitch you want to play, I would recommend Sinta's Voicing for Saxophone book, if you can spend a lot of time on harmonics/Mpc practise then you should find the tuning in the Altissimo range improve significantly.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to practise harmonics as well as scales and long tones on your Mpc, this will teach your oral cavity to be in the correct position for the pitch you want to play, I would recommend Sinta's Voicing for Saxophone book, if you can spend a lot of time on harmonics/Mpc practise then you should find the tuning in the Altissimo range improve significantly.
but the natural thing when practicing altissimo at first is being flat?

·
Registered
75 Posts
but the natural thing when practicing altissimo at first is being flat?
Some people are flat, some people are sharp, some people are all over the place.

Learning to play altissimo is really hard so I wouldn't stress over it too much. The important thing early on is to develop good technique and be able to hit the notes reliably. Then you can start fine-tuning things (literally :rolleyes:) and in particular, experiment with different fingerings. One person's fingering chart is unlikely to be 100% perfect for someone else so you're inevitably going to have to adapt things for your setup.

Also, control over the notes is more about what's happening inside your mouth and throat, rather than embouchure, so if you experiment with this, you should be able to change the pitch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts