Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

I've been working on my altissimo range for some time now.
I very recently sold my old main jazz mouthpiece (Lakey 5*3) for a florida link opened by ralph morgan to a 7*

On the lakey I didn't have very many problems on altissimo up to about A which is the highest note I can hit at the moment. Since the switch over to this florida link, I've been having increased difficulty reaching anything from f# and up. While everything up to F is perfectly fine. The F# will typically squeak out when I switch from F to F#. I can get an F# but it requires practically eating the mouthpiece and significantly changing my embochure just to accomodate that one note.

While the exact same set up with my backup Meyer 7m is perfectly fine all the way up.

I'm a bit confused at to why I can't acheive an F# on this link. I understand that links aren't the easiest mouthpieces to tame. Is this just a side effect of that?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get some more range on this mouthpiece.

thanks for any help
John

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
long tones ;)

you just have to get used to the new mouthpiece,
it's metal and you've been used to playing HR.

also metal mouthpieces usually tend to have more of a tendency to squeak, so it's long tones all the way!!

just keep practicing

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,968 Posts
Don't feel you have to get a certain mouthpiece to work for you; regardless of what you paid or who worked their magic on it. If you weren't having problems before, and now you do, I'd go back to the earlier set-up or find a new one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I'll get to working on those long tones.

Grumps, I understand what your saying. But I think I'll keep this mouthpiece as a side project.
It probably won't be my main piece but I feel like I have unfinished business with this mouthpiece. I always liked a challenge. :)

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I agree, the issue is likely with you and not the MP itself. I find Link's to give up the Altissimo range more freely than just about any piece out there.

Some complain that Links require a lot of effort to get used to in general, but I found my perfect fit with them from day one some 28 years ago.

Just goes to show how different each of us can be in selecting our setups etc.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
If a facing curve is too flat in the tip rail area, altissimo will be more difficult. You can try a bunch of Links, or a bunch of any brand, and some will be better than others. But it is stil 80-90% "the player".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts