Sax on the Web Forum banner

Altissimo scale

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Dave Pollack 
#1 ·
I finally got up to altissimo after a couple of years. Now I'm working on fuller sound and intonation.

I've only gone up to A as those are the fingerings i"ve worked on so far - but it feels like I'm going to be able to go higher once I find the fingerings on line.

I noticed its hard to go from f# to G - any tips? I play mark vi alto with no f sharp key.

I started working on palm keys and up- getting a a better in tune sound lately.

I noticed I don't improvise using the palm keys and above so I need to start addressing that.

#2 ·
I would suggest working on the "traumatic" scale first and then moving on to the altissimo scale. (Just kidding) One tip (crutch) that is known to help the altissimo G is to adjust the front F to open the F palm key about 1/16" or 1.5mm. This helps the G to respond but makes front F very stuffy, and front E impossible---so it is a trade off. After you have learned the "taste" of altissimo G and can hit it every time with this aid, open the front F gradually back to its original open position continuing to work on G. Eventually you will have a solid G without compromising the other fingerings.

#4 ·
G is bad. No getting around it.

On alto you might try some of the alternate fingerings to find one that works well for you - I use LH 1 and 3 plus RH 1 and side Bb. It's a little clumsy back and fort with F# with the fork F plus RH 1 and side Bb - easier to go up than down in this case.

No matter what horn, G is just a bear and takes work. I like saxoclese's phrase - the "taste" of G. It's one of the notes that you really have to have a good idea of voicing before you play it.

#6 ·
For me it was not only trying A LOT of different fingerings, but I practiced by half steps so I could really hear that G. I would start with a front fork E, lift the pinky to F, add side Bb and G# to get my F#. Finally lift my LH ring fnger to get that elusive altissimo G.

Works for me. No Promises

#7 ·
It’s just one of those things that’s awkward but after a few thousand repetitions feels a bit easier. It’s not comfortable at all, but you’ll get used to it! I like to play tunes up an octave, improvise with nothing below a high D, etc to try and “normalize” the upper register. It’s just for training purposes to get comfortable using those top tones (especially tough transitions like F#-G)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.