Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can play Altissimo like hell on my Alto, but when it comes to the Tenor, I can't find many fingerings that will work with my Mark VI. I use the fingering 1o3,1o3 for G on my alto, and then add the middle RH Palm key to make it G#. A is o23,ooo, then to A# is o23,12o with the middle RH palm key. Anyways, I try to use these fingerings including more on my Tenor, but I can't seem to find any fingering that will pull off my G. Anything above it is hard to get too. I'm not sure if it could be my airflow or whatever, but I'm doing the same things I do on my Alto. If anyone has found this difficult on their Mark VI or any model by chance, please advise me on what I can do to be able to pull it off and make it all work out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
Altissimo G and also the notes around it, are a well known Tenor Altissimo problem for players that can't yet voice them.

The Altissimo G etc may take a while to get the voicing right when coming from Alto Atissimo or when beginning Tenor Altissimo even for players who can voice low note overtones quite well and are attempting Tenor Altissimo for the first time.

Some mouthpieces may make it easier to voice.

There is a Tenor Altissimo G fingering using the high F# key but probably the best all around Tenor Altissimo G fingering is the Front F key and side Bb key and then the player has to learn to voice it.

One way to start off is to first get the Altissimo F# note happening using the Front F key and A key and side Bb key and then lift the A key for Altissimo G and try to get the voicing feel of what is needed to produce the Altissimo G.

The voicing difference between Altissimo F# and Altissimo G is not that great of a difference.

On the Tenor I have found the lower Altissimo notes from F# to Bb to seem to require more back of the throat voicing movement and the middle and higher Altissimo notes from Altissimo B (palm D fingering) onwards seems to require less back of the throat voicing movement and are probably more like Alto Altissimo voicing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Working out of the book Top Tones for Saxophone should help wih the voicing issues. There is aother book by Dr. Robert Lucky called Saxophone Altissimo. This helped me great deal as well as keeping he mindframe that you can't force it. The more you try to muscle an altissimo G on tenor, the more frustrated and discouraged you will get. Building the range slowly while also building on the ability to hear the tones before you voice it will help. Just like whistling :)

http://music.louisiana.edu/faculty/bluckey.html
http://www.playjazz.com/SA114.html

I hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts