Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to reach the altissimo register on a modern student instrument?
I say modern, because the student instruments of today are nothing compared to those 20 years ago..... or even 10 for that matter...
Im on a Selmer USA TS500 With the High F# key

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
Achieving the altissimo range is flexible enough by the sheer mechanics involved that it should NOT matter whether it is a student or pro horn and anything in between.

Granted, the interior proportions of some designs make some saxophones easier to achieve the altissimo range than others, but this can generally be compensated for by the throat, alternate fingerings, and MP selection.

You are likely not being held back by your horn in this area.

Hit Sigmund Rascher's book Top Tones For The Saxophone if your are developmentally ready for it, and worry not about the horn.:bluewink:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Achieving the altissimo range is flexible enough by the sheer mechanics involved that it should NOT matter whether it is a student or pro horn and anything in between.

Granted, the interior proportions of some designs make some saxophones easier to achieve the altissimo range than others, but this can generally be compensated for by the throat, alternate fingerings, and MP selection.

You are likely not being held back by your horn in this area.
+1 - I'm not very good at playing altissimo, but I can reach all note I know how to reach on my 16 year old YAS-25. The only thing I'd add is that it's easier with some mouthpiece/reed combinations than with others, but that's borderline trivial (especially since I didn't find any combination that didn't work at all). The horn's perfectly capable of producing altissimo.

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
No. It is impossible to reach the altissimo register on a modern student horn.
Students are only to play from low Bb to high C. No higher.
Yours has the high F# key so you'll never be able to go any higher than that. :twisted:

Good grief.... It's a horn! It will play any and every note that you can finger and blow.
The only thing that will hold you back is if it's leaky and out of regulation, issues with your reed/mouthpiece combination, and your own mental limitations. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Yamaha YAS-23, about 7 years old, plays altissimo just fine. In fact, I recently got a Custom 875EX, and a few notes are tougher!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Just to reinforce the previous few responses (with my MP set up) I can pick up virtually any tenor sax to play altimisso as long it is a playing horn. I'm not an altissimo athelete but can make it work reliably for my playing.

Naturally there are differences sometimes in specific note fingerings to get tone and pitch correctly and some horns are more responsive. But once you learn to play altimisso it is like riding a bicyle it works on any horn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool.
Yeah the horn does have at least 1 leak, and i know because my tone is not airy normally....
so that might be it....
but i'll keep at it...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts