Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... Hoping one of you could help. I have a seller series iii alto sax and I'm struggling with my altissimo g#. Seems like it's too sharp meaning when I go up from a G, seems like it's a whole done rather than a semitone. I can drop my jaw for the one note, but it sounds less stable.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternate fingering that would sound a bit more flat? The one I'm using is 1, 3, 1, 3 and the C side key.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,277 Posts
It usually is. Now, voicing helps a lot and, if some use, I use an alternate fingering for lowering it.... it is xxx/xoo plus side C (this is 123 1 plus side C), instead of the one you are using...

If does not help, finger with the left pinky low Bb.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's just like an F with the side C key? I'll give it a go sometime this week. Thanks for the speedy response.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,804 Posts
I use 1-3 | 1 plus side C on alto, tenor, and bari. A pretty common fingering. It can run sharp on a lot of saxes. The issue is the side C key. Try lowering the key height or installing a crescent to lower that pitch. This will flatten the side C (you may be able to add side Bb to the side C to bump that up a little) but makes the G# more tunable...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use 1-3 | 1 plus side C on alto, tenor, and bari. A pretty common fingering. It can run sharp on a lot of saxes. The issue is the side C key. Try lowering the key height or installing a crescent to lower that pitch. This will flatten the side C (you may be able to add side Bb to the side C to bump that up a little) but makes the G# more tunable...
By lowering the key, do you mean manipulate the valve or not fully depress the key. I'm not familiar with a crescent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a way of filling in the top portion of a tone hole to flatten the pitch
View attachment 89274
Oh! That's pretty cool. That would eliminate the ability to play a "C" in my normal register using that palm though, would it not (as it would be flat)? I've never been able to flawlessly transition from B to C without the use of that side key.

I think it could very well be me. I'm just learning that register now. I'm not as seasoned as most players here. I can manipulate my mouth to drop that tone down a bit too.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Try this book !! it's a compilation I made or downloaded from several websites. I don't remember really. It's for all saxes.

Attachments

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,277 Posts
Just want to add, that the alternate fingering with some embouchure attention, solves this in almost all of my altos, well, all of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
G# has always been elusive to me.... Only one fingering seems to get the tone right (1o3-side c-1oo). But it is typically pretty sharp. I've spent a lot of time blowing the note and moving the pitch up and down significantly without the tone breaking. For me, being flexible with the altissimo register has been more useful than trying different fingerings!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts