Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have played Sax for over 40 years but have never mastered Altissimo. Can anyone recommend a good Altissimo method book for video? Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,993 Posts
I have played Sax for over 40 years but have never mastered Altissimo. Can anyone recommend a good Altissimo method book for video? Thanks
Depends. Quick and easy or long and hard? If it's the latter, then folks will tell you to get Sigurd Raschèr's Top Tones book and work on overtones.

But quick and easy? Okay... here we go.

Do you have a high F# key? If so, quit using it. Now let's get a high F# the old school way. First off, altissimo ain't about fingerings. It's about how you blow. You have to squeeze off the air flow by raising the back of your tongue towards the roof of your mouth as you blow. Try it first without the horn. Blow normally, then slowly raise the back of your tongue upwards. You hear a sort of whistle, right? Good, now get the horn. Finger octave, front F key (above the B key), right hand 1 (F key) and side Bb. Blow that with the squeezed airflow and see if high F# comes out. If it does, you're on your way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
This is so right. I learned without overtones. We just did what Grumps said. Get a strong Fork F and then Get F#. Then went to Fork e up to alt A. Etc. I "found" overtones later in life (after college) K
Depends. Quick and easy or long and hard? If it's the latter, then folks will tell you to get Sigurd Raschèr's Top Tones book and work on overtones.

But quick and easy? Okay... here we go.

Do you have a high F# key? If so, quit using it. Now let's get a high F# the old school way. First off, altissimo ain't about fingerings. It's about how you blow. You have to squeeze off the air flow by raising the back of your tongue towards the roof of your mouth as you blow. Try it first without the horn. Blow normally, then slowly raise the back of your tongue upwards. You hear a sort of whistle, right? Good, now get the horn. Finger octave, front F key (above the B key), right hand 1 (F key) and side Bb. Blow that with the squeezed airflow and see if high F# comes out. If it does, you're on your way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts