Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was investigating Bass Sax cases, and remembered that Altieri used to offer some Gig bags for Bass Sax - as well as all of the other Saxes.

https://altieribags.com/

I had an Altieri Gig bag for my Keilwerth Straight Alto and it was very well made.

I was surprised to find that they no longer offer any Sax bags on their web site.

Very odd (a/k/a poor customer service):

I e-mailed them about 1 week ago and did not receive a response.

I called them during the week at about 3:00 EST and got a machine.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with them or know what is going on with them?

·
14,332 Posts
It has been years, but I owned a JK straight alto and I contacted Donna Altieri (I recall she was in Denver, or at least in Colorado somewhere). She made a gig bag for my JK straight alto based on measurements and a drawing I sent to her. I sold the whole kit several years ago. I wonder if that is the same horn and bag?

Anyway, maybe you need to give her more time to reply - they are having some tough weather in Colorado these days. DAVE

·
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been years, but I owned a JK straight alto and I contacted Donna Altieri (I recall she was in Denver, or at least in Colorado somewhere). She made a gig bag for my JK straight alto based on measurements and a drawing I sent to her. I sold the whole kit several years ago. I wonder if that is the same horn and bag?

Anyway, maybe you need to give her more time to reply - they are having some tough weather in Colorado these days. DAVE
Probably the same Alto, it has been around, there were a lot of pictures of it on the internet (taken by someone else) when I owned it.
I hadn't considered the weather, good point. That doesn't explain why all the Sax gig bag offerings have disappeared from the web site.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,134 Posts
I was JUST looking for the same thing! Who'd a thunk there’d be two of us looking for bass bags/cases at the same time?

So far the Gard wheeled bag seems to be the lowest cost, immediately available option. I just don’t know if I like that design. Have you found other alternatives?

I wonder if Allied still carries coffin cases for bass?

·
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was JUST looking for the same thing! Who'd a thunk there’d be two of us looking for bass bags/cases at the same time?

So far the Gard wheeled bag seems to be the lowest cost, immediately available option. I just don’t know if I like that design. Have you found other alternatives?

I wonder if Allied still carries coffin cases for bass?
I saw the Gard bag on WWBW and that got me started on this. I was planning on placing my findings on Helen's Bassic Sax site, and I was looking for something to add on the subject of
Bass Cases. I hadn't checked out Allied, but I think I will.

I sold my coffin case to Junk Dude, and bought the International Woodwinds / Steve Goodson/Laksar Reese case that was quite expensive at the time. I still see them for sale, as I recall they are now available for sale at a cost of ~$1,400.00!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,134 Posts
Yeah, I remeber those being around $800 a few years ago. I found them on Alibaba, but it’s hard to guesstimate total cost for one direct from China.

Bass Bags in the UK is offering bags, the bass runs 228 Pounds according to the website, not sure on shipping.

I wouldn’t have a problem with a hard case. My original case still works, but it is long in the tooth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts