Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using a Morgan Jazz 7M with my 1955 Martin Indiana alto. It plays and responds really well, but I am looking for a more focused sound, slightly brighter, but not for more volume necessarily. I want it also to have more core and be better suited for classical. I would be very interested in a vintage Brilhart Tonalin or Ebolin, but it seems it would be hard to get one of these for a reasonable price these days. Can anyone recommend anything? Thanks.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
A brighter sound is not what you want for classical. Sounds like you'll need two mouthpieces....Brilharts and Morgan Jazz pieces are not well suited to classical playing because they have too much edge.

If you want a bright(er) classical sound, you should try a Rousseau NC4 or Vandoren V5 Series.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hmm... I used to play Brilhart Ebolins and Tonalins and found them versatile enough for a light classical tone. I feel like the Morgan, and also a new Meyer I tried did not have this same sort of focus. Maybe it's the horseshoe chamber... ?
Overall I want a jazz sound, just a little more refined in quality, I guess. Maybe I should just try new reeds. I'm using orange box rico 3's but am not sure what else would be good because I don't like Vandoren Java's that much, or any other reeds I've tried besides Alexander Superial (DC's) which I haven't tried

J.Max said:
A brighter sound is not what you want for classical. Sounds like you'll need two mouthpieces....Brilharts and Morgan Jazz pieces are not well suited to classical playing because they have too much edge.

If you want a bright(er) classical sound, you should try a Rousseau NC4 or Vandoren V5 Series.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think my morgan has a pretty focused sound? More so on my conn than my selmer though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I think you should try some Vandoren blue box 2.5s if you are playing on Rico 3's right now. It may make the difference you want. Alexander DC 3s would also be a good thing to try.

Alan

·
Registered
618 Posts
I find I have a very flexible sound with my Selmer S-80 E mouthpiece, a really nice focused and blendy sound when I want to, and if I push a little more, I can cut for jazz and solo-y stuff.

I also like the Vandoren V16 reeds in a size 3.

hope it helps

dv

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
For classical, try out the Morgan 3C, with blue box vandoren's 2.5's.

The Morgan Jazz 7M , is totally a burning jazz lead alto big band and combo Professional mouthpiece used by top pro's all across the world. This piece is totally focused, and pretty bright and fat in a NY Meyer Hard rubber Cannonball kind of way.The absolute best reeds for this type of high performance mouthpiece are, believe it or not, Green Box Java's.
For my needs, strength 3.5 ,are perfect for the kind of resistance,and tone that totally projects and carries in a Jazz club or Wedding Gig. With this piece, I don't need a mike, for rock and blues gigs, even though they still give you one.

Get the Morgan 3C. It's perfect for you.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to stick with this mouthpiece and keep working with reeds. I have tried a Java 3.5 but it wasn't the best for me. However, I will try 3's. I don't think I really want a classical mouthpiece.

king koeller said:
For classical, try out the Morgan 3C, with blue box vandoren's 2.5's.

The Morgan Jazz 7M , is totally a burning jazz lead alto big band and combo Professional mouthpiece used by top pro's all across the world. This piece is totally focused, and pretty bright and fat in a NY Meyer Hard rubber Cannonball kind of way.The absolute best reeds for this type of high performance mouthpiece are, believe it or not, Green Box Java's.
For my needs, strength 3.5 ,are perfect for the kind of resistance,and tone that totally projects and carries in a Jazz club or Wedding Gig. With this piece, I don't need a mike, for rock and blues gigs, even though they still give you one.

Get the Morgan 3C. It's perfect for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts