Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i'm quite satisfied by the traditional vandoren 3 for baritone but i would like to experiment with other brand..the problem is the reed strenght..i'm interested in rigotti reeds and other brand with that woody feel like vandoren ,any suggestion?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I started by using vandoren 3 but maybe one year ago I bought and tried the Rico Royal Grand Concert and have been using them. I passed to 2.5 in rico

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Well, I used to play the Vandoren 3 on baritone, but then a friend gave me about 25 boxes of La Voz Med. Hard baritone reeds, so I'm planning on using those till they're gone (they'll probably outlast me). So give those a try.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I used to play the Vandoren 3 on baritone, but then a friend gave me about 25 boxes of La Voz Med. Hard baritone reeds, so I'm planning on using those till they're gone (they'll probably outlast me). So give those a try.
i've just used lavoz med/hard but they are too soft..as Vandoren 2.5 ..i have to try the hard ones

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I started by using vandoren 3 but maybe one year ago I bought and tried the Rico Royal Grand Concert and have been using them. I passed to 2.5 in rico
That's strange, because a Vandoren 2.5 is about equal in strength to a Rico 3, not the reverse, which means you've come down the equivalent of a full size in Vandoren. I suspect the Vandoren 3s were always too hard for you ?

I used to use Vandoren Red Java 2.5 (Red Java is a French file cut reed). I still believe they're the best reeds for baritone, but the price is exorbitant. Here in Australia a box of 5 Vandoren Red Javas sells for $66.00, which is $13.20 per reed. A box of 10 Rico Royals (another French file cut reed, which I get from the same supplier) costs $80.00, i.e., $8.00 each. That's a 65% increase from Rico Royal to Vandoren Red Java. I can't understand the price difference, because I find Rico Royal bari reeds to be almost as good as Vandoren Red Javas.

Naturally I'm using Rico Royals on baritone…

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
My experience has been a bit instructive, in that I was never all that keen on La Voz reeds, preferring Vandoren. Once I got a lifetime supply of La Voz reeds (as noted above, a friend gave me 20+ boxes), I learned a bit about how they like to be adjusted and how to blow them, and now I am well enough satisfied with them.

My point being that chasing the perfect reed may be less productive than picking a reasonably good brand that has reasonably consistent quality (a minimum of green cane/off center cuts/damaged reeds packaged in with good ones/etc.), and just learning how to adjust and blow those. Allowing myself no other choice for baritone reeds (yes, I could buy different reeds but my conscience would never allow me to ignore boxes of perfectly OK reeds while spending $$$ on some other reeds) has in my opinion freed up a lot of time and effort for other things, that I might have used fiddly-dicking around with the reed-du-jour.

I would suggest to any saxophonist who finds himself getting lost in the maze of "which reed to use", to try this concept for a couple years. You may find that you no longer really care what reed you're playing.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes, I know that the relation between Vandoren and Rico is usually .5 less for Vandoren, but I always felt confortable in both (I have Vandorens still and sometimes use it)
The Rico Grand Concert seem a bit more hard than the normal Ricos though, although they get soft for me a bit quickly.

I am moving to a bigger opening, so it'll probably change, and the reeds will last longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,581 Posts
I use Legere Classics on bari. I prefer the sound versus cane plus the consistency and durability factors are unmatched. A Vandoren traditional 3 = Legere Classic 3.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,278 Posts
I use Legere Classics on bari. I prefer the sound versus cane plus the consistency and durability factors are unmatched. A Vandoren traditional 3 = Legere Classic 3.
I like the Legere Classic also.
Recently though I got a few Forestone Black Bamboo reeds and find them to be even better.
Strength wise I find they are similar to the Legere Classics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts