Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has ever altered the position of their fork F key on a Mark VI alto or tenor.
Just since it’s positioned a little off to the right, I’m curious if anyone has gotten it removed an reattached so that it is more in line with the rest of the upper stack keys. Personally, I feel like it would be a lot better ergonomically but thought I’d see if anyone has done this.
The only person I know who’s done a similar kind of thing is Remi Bolduc, who replaced his mark vi alto fork F with a Yamaha fork f and made it more centred with the rest of the upper stack keys

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've seen pictures of Ben Wendel showing a replaced front F key on his SBA. I just browsed through some photos and found this one quite interesting. The original front F wasn't replaced but he had a key added above the original one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, that Oleg fork f gizmo is fantastic - enables one to play fork f while keeping index finger on b touch which means really smooth glisses up into the altissimo.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have used the Oleg piece for close to 2 years now but I’m finding as of recently that the added height of it is getting in the way of some things which is why I’m moving the key itself. But Saxoclese, that’s a really neat looking mod. Thanks for showing that, that might be something I’ll consider doing

·
Registered
314 Posts
Did you try moving the Oleg extension further up the touch piece? At first, when I set it up across the diameter of the touch piece, I would inadvertently vent the high f when rolling off and on the bis key. After opening up the clamp a tad with a Dremel bit, I was able to position it a couple mm’s higher which fixed the problem.

The oleg’s design, with its little s-shaped tail, is unique in that it was intended to facilitate playing the forked f with the first knuckle of your index finger. I found that to use it correctly, I had to adjust my technique to the intended function of the touch. But once set up to your liking, there’s nothing else like it.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
You can also just raise up the arm a bit and twist it so the pearl is angled more toward the side of your index finger. I have done this on a couple of non Selmer saxophones. I usually replace the felt under that key with cork at the same time so it'll contact the underlying keycup a bit better.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have fabricated a "tear drop" shaped front F for a couple of customers who don't like the feel of their Mark VI pearl style key.

View attachment 200546
The tear drop shaped front F off the Selmer Series III fits the Mark VI perfectly. I've had it installed on my Mark VI tenor. I also have a Reference 54 alto and tenor, and have this key installed on both, as it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The tear drop shaped front F off the Selmer Series III fits the Mark VI perfectly. I've had it installed on my Mark VI tenor. I also have a Reference 54 alto and tenor, and have this key installed on both, as it fits perfectly.
Cool. Can you tell me where they can be ordered and what the cost is?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had my repairman order them from Conn-Selmer. This was after he took one off a Series III that he had in stock, to make sure it would fit. I don't remember the part # or cost, but can check with my repairman.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would anyone be able to post a picture of their Oleg Fork F setup and positioning? I'd just like to compare it to how mine is positioned

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks so much for posting these!!
As a side note...I used the Oleg fork F on this tenor for a number of years, but was never able to get it adjusted so that it felt comfortable. Mentioning this to my repairman started the conversation on possibly fitting the fork key off the Series III. We had no idea that it would be a perfect fit.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After randomly browsing youtube videos of the incredible Brandon Fields, I noticed that he too used to used to use the oleg fork F but then got that switched to a Series III-like fork f on his VI tenor

1 - 20 of 26 Posts