Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I bought a '55 'The Martin' tenor awhile back and go it overhauled. I love the sound but the neck will move up and down and I've read over various forums that this is a really hard thing to fix. One of the techs I've talked to says he removed the plate and screw and soldered the conventional screw style to the tube, getting rid of this issue. Is this worth doing? Should I just save my money to buy a replacement by Gloger? I'm not too worried about resale or cosmetics as it's already a relacquered horn. I use it for blues/rock stuff and venues I don't want to take my VI to.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Don't fk with it. Have the tenon expanded (fitted) which because the Martin doesn't have a tightening clamp per se is important to do from time to time. Also make sure the tenon isn't actually loose in the neck and has to be re-soldered. And find a better tech.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
Get the fitment of the neck to body to be tight as it may have some leakage there first and then possibly have the set screw fixed then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
I don’t know where you are in the world but expanding a neck is carried out routinely by all good technicians the best Martin, specialized in neck, technicians that I know of are the “ Blazers atelier “ in Tilburg , the Netherlands.

They make the best Martin copies around and they will certainly be qualified to make your neck fit perfectly.

They can also manufacture a tenon and receiver is anyone has a damaged arrangement.

http://www.blazersatelier.nl/galerij/

see pictures here in the very long gallery!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts