Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I never thought I would be writing something like this.
I have only about 2 hrs ago come home from hospital, For the last couple of days I have found it getting hard to breath,We all put it down to the heat over here in the Philippines,But in sort a few nights ago I woke up could not get my breath and was near to passing out,I really thought it was over.I got down to my car with the help of my wife.and don't ask me how,but got to the hospital,where they put me on oxygen immediately,and then took bloody and BP, it was 210 over 100 something, I really cant remember.But they said it was bad very bad. At 4.50am they got me stable but BP was still very high.

They found my lungs was near to full of what they called fluid,from a build up of bacteria so also my lungs near to full put pressure on my heart and so on and so no, they now think very strongly that it come from my reed+mouth piece. That I had not cleaned it properly and the bacteria just got worst and I just kept playing so it just got worst and worst till I was out of it.So I guess you are asking your self could this Kill ? Well from what I was told it is YES! If you had a weak heart or you could end up with a stroke.I guess Living here in the Philippines made it worse as its a breeding ground for bacteria, and me not thinking just after playing just put the top on ,and next time just picking it up and wetting the reed again in my mouth and when I was finished just doing the same, I was sending out an Invite to the bacteria which they took and nearly bloody killed me,If I had not been able to get to the Hospital when I did ,you wouldn't be reading this now.So guys take care.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Glad to hear that you are still here with us to tell the tale and educating us on the health risks involved with a common malpractce wich we all are guilty of and which you had to, personally and with great peril, find out on your own skin.
I wish you a speedy recovery and am glad that no permanet damage is going to affect your lungs. Get well soon!

Registered
Cor, that's a bit scary! Glad to hear you're on the mend though Scottie. There's a good case for disinfecting reeds and mpcs if ever I heard one.

We're going through a very warm dry spell here in NW England. After reading what you said I'm going to be more fastidious about sterilising in alcohol. What? This bottle of Glenlivet? No dear, it's for safety reasons, nothing to concern yourself with. Purely medicinal, I assure you. ;)

:D Steve

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
Jeez Scottie! I'd have never dreamt it possible. I think I'll go scrub down some of my mouthpieces... Glad to hear you're okay!!! Can they test you reed or mouthpiece in anyway to discover the amount and type of bacteria?

Hope you're feeling better and on your way to a full recovery, keep us posted mate!

-andy

Registered
I couldn't imagine that something like this can happen by playing saxophone :shock:
At least you are still alive, it would be too bad dying from just playing sax.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys
Well cymru, I guess I should have taken my reeds and mouth mpcs back to the hospital as they could have mad sure it was that,that was the cause. But, it was one of the doctors I told I played sax,when he ask me what I had been in contact with as soon as I told him he said, ok now I think we are getting some where,he was the one who told me that this place ( The Philippines ) is a breeding ground for that kind of thing.and there was nothing to be honest It could have possible been.as no other person in my house has an problem at all,They were 99 % sure it was that. But I put all my mpcs +Reeds into alcohol when I got back home.

Yes Artakserksis
I can just see it now on my grave stone, here lays Scottie, He blew it!
Sorry if there is any mistakes in this reply but I have just taken some more medication and I can really recommend it guys, **** ! What a high :)
Thanks guys for your reply's of a speedy recovery

Staxx said:
What? This bottle of Glenlivet? No dear, it's for safety reasons, nothing to concern yourself with. Purely medicinal, I assure you. ;)

:D Steve
I second the use of " high spirits":twisted: for medicinal purposes,of course, it is a well known medical fact that since the dawn of jazz times, horn players all over the world needed some sort of disinfectant to be used prior or during the course of a gig, for purely prophylactic purposes. Lubricating and disinfecting the throat is a must.:cool: don't ever forget it. I am of the whisky persuasion and occasionally of the cognac too.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
First thing, glad you're OK. I have to retain a bit of residual skepticism since the mouthpiece and reeds were never tested, but I was concerned enough to do a little searching and I found THIS article. Apparently none of the common sterilizing agents are 100% effective against everything.

OK, let's be serious.

Nice article! Very interesting indeed.

Some time ago I saw a program on the telly about the several health dangers connencted to almost any intense practise and professional use of any musical instrument but it was more focused on posture problems and different other problems like allergies and such things, but they didn't mention this particular risk.

It is impossible to achieve 100% disinfection and particularly when it comes to things connected to one person's mouth.

The human mouth contains, as the article says, quite a considerable amount of bacteria, this bacteria is there among many reasons also to keep control of the possible incoming bacteria which could be dangerous. The Saliva has, among many, a role in controlling the population and type of bacteria present in our mouth and infact there are studies which suggest that human and animal saliva has antibacteric properties.

Nevertheless many of this bacteria (to say nothin about viruses...) could be dangerous if a mouthpiece is left unattended for long periods of time in an enviroment with the right conditions of humidity and temperature. But it has to be said that normally, even aggressive bacteria are just dealt with simply and effectively from our immune system. But, given the possibility that sometimes one can have a depressed immune system (for a number of reasons) it is best trying to reduce the conditions which might be conducive to a bacterial proliferation.
Keep your mouthpieces as dry as possible, wash them every now and again and store them somewhere where you keep some silca-gel to dry the moisture which could favor the growth of the bugs.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
Damn man. Glad to hear you made it through.
I spent a year one night in the Phillippines but all I had to contend with were butterfly knifes. Fluid in the lungs pressing on the heart...that's scary stuff!

I believe it is is called a Pulmonary edema and it is a very serious condition dangerous for your hart

one more thing, if your mouthpieces were infected(!) with a particular strain of bugs, your horn and the pads are too.....I would get in touch with an expert (I'm not one...) to see if this can cause problems in future and to get the bugs from the horn(s) tested and possibly chemically removed (I am afraid that in that case you need to re-pad the horns too.....:(

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
scottieAnthony said:
Hi Guys
.....They found my lungs was near to full of what they called fluid,from a build up of bacteria so also my lungs near to full put pressure on my heart and so on and so no, they now think very strongly that it come from my reed+mouth piece. That I had not cleaned it properly and the bacteria just got worst and I just kept playing so it just got worst and worst till I was out of it.So I guess you are asking your self could this Kill ? Well from what I was told it is YES! If you had a weak heart or you could end up with a stroke.......
So what are you going to do? Have you found an effective way to sterilize your mpc & reeds, or are you going to lay off playing while you're in the Islands? [Be careful using alcohol to sterilize reeds. It might not agree with your system, so to speak.]

Glad you're still among the living. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do kind rememeber seeing a program on tele and in it, it said about chopping boards that we all use they are made of wood and its a perfect place for all kinds of bacteria and bugs, and half the time we just rub it of after use under warm water and think its ok again to use.
well all our reeds are made of wood bamboo so I guess its the same One more thing that I was told, so if you play in very hot countrys this may help you.Never drink anything but water when you are playing.As the sweetness from your mouth if you drink anything sweet ! all that goes also to the pads,and what happens then ? Ok wait for it I will tell you,remember I said hot countrys !
You get all that sweetness on your pad even you clean it off, there will still be some sweetness there and who is the first to find it! ANTS! yes the little guys that always turn up Invited or not when anything sweet is around,and they will make all nice litttle holes in you pads while eating there way up and down the scales.Sorry I have to stop,I still really dont feel 100% yet and I get a little spaced out now and then sorry guys

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok here is an up date to the problem I had, Today I went to my Doctor,as he wanted to see how I was after a few days out of hospital.Just for check up really. what he told me was this, on Monday Night a boy went to the hospital with the same problem as me.So I said to him,O so it must be a virus going around and nothing to do with my sax & reed. He smile at me and said, the boy was a clarinet play,so Im of the opinion that they must be right what they had first told me,the doctor said to me again,Scott be very very careful
these condition here are perfect for all kinds of Bugs and virusis of all kind.
So pls guys and girl,that play,If you go to a country with the same kind of climet as this make sure you do clean your reeds and mps, not like me, What I mean but that is,yes I do clean them,but a week before this happen to me
I was just picking it up of the stand playing it and then put it back on the stand,I did this day in and day out for about 3 or 4 day. It was only a few days later that I found I was getting short of breath,and then one nighy it hit me full force.It was some thing I never ever want to have again.The fear of not being able to breath you cant put into words.The doctor said if I would have had weak heart I would not be here now.

All of you pls pls take care.

Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
Staxx said:
What? This bottle of Glenlivet? No dear, it's for safety reasons, nothing to concern yourself with. Purely medicinal, I assure you. ;)
I only use scotch therapeutically. Single malt, from the highlands or islands, at least 12 years old, served neat in an old-fashioned glass, no chaser.

Registered
Living near the tropics, in Florida, I know we have to take extra precautions to avoid the growth of all kinds of things. Clorox (chlorine laundry bleach) is our friend. I'd suspect that the Philippines is even worse. Silica gel won't be of much use in this kind of humidity.

I think regular washing with soap and water and a brush, or perhaps baking soda for mouthpieces, would be the most effective. As has been said, you won't avoid all the bugs, but you will keep the population down to levels the immune system can deal with. I'm not a doctor so that this for what it's worth.
juan

G

Best practice

What advise should beginning players hear.

These are the things that I've learnt...
  1. Don't eat, drink (anything but water), or smoke before playing.
  2. Clean your mouth before playing. (Personally, I brush my teeth and scrape my tongue. You wouldn't believe what comes off when you scrape! This of course depends on your circumstances. If you're away from home, at the very least, rinse your mouth with water.)
  3. When you're finished playing, rinse your reed and mouthpiece with clean water.
  4. ...and dry your sax.
It doesn't matter where you live.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts