Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying an allora Vienna series alto sax with a black nickel body and silver keys. Is the sax any good?

J

·
0 Posts
I have recently bought the Allora Chicago Jazz Alto Saxophone, the one off of wwbw.com, the horn is under $1,500.00 dollars. The one I have is a well built horn, no doubt about that!! I would say go for it and buy it, I would definitely recommend getting a different mouth piece setup for your own personal preference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi. I've had an Allora Vienna curved soprano for about a year and like it very much. Just bought an Allora student alto, based on that experience, for under $500 with (plastic) case. With a Rovner Dark ligature and Selmer Goldentone 3 mpc, I like the sound I get for the money, it plays in pitch without adjustment, and the fingering is fine. Having played mostly tenor until now, I like the fullness of the tones I can get at the bottom of the alto and it's upper tones are "sweet" sounding but not whiney. As an adult, I know I'll take very good care of the horn so it will stay in good condition. Can't see paying three times as much for something "intermediate", or much more for pro, when this should serve me well for awhile. Hope this helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I doubt they are as good as the old B&S made ones. But then I would say that:)

The current WWBW Alloras and CJS are not the European made wolfs in sheeps clothing that the old ones are, but there are many good asian sourced horns out there, so play one and see. WWBW have a solid return policy anyway.

As for the finish, if you like it thats great and pretty much all that matters unless you are going on tour with a pro big band with a picky leader!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was looking at either an Allora Paris Something or Other tenor and another Allora "Chicago Jazz" tenor; WWBW has sales on these somewhat frequently. Maybe a few times a year; probably because not many people buy them.
I ended up buying a Kessler intermediate in antique finish. I'll post a link to my review for anyone who's interested.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...in-Anituqe-Finish-Pics!&p=2063088#post2063088

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just to close the loop, I returned the Allora student alto mentioned above after trying some other student models. Specifically, the Yamaha YAS-26 was such a contrast (to the good) that I felt compelled to invest more to get more than the Allora will provide. Looking at used YAS-23's now...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts