Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m currently primarily a Bari player looking for a step up on the alto side. I currently play a Cannonball Stone Series Bari that I love and a Yamaha 23 alto that is exactly what I expected out of it. I am looking into either a Stone Series Alto or an Allora Chicago dark lacquer. I’m looking for a versatile sound lending a little towards contemporary classical and plan on using a Vandoren Optimum AL3 piece

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I think highly of the Allora CJ tenor but not the alto. I had one and found it to be very spread and dull. I still have the tenor. I have never played th CB alto. I seem to remember some possible tuning issues being mentioned.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why just those two? There's probably other good instruments you can afford. Budget?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Christian raised the same thing I thought when I first read the opening post. If you intend to "upgrade", why go in half-steps? For the price of one of the models you mentioned, you could have a much better selection - and putting in more could give you a life-time saxophone.

Is it budget? Is it the lack of available instruments in your area test before buying? Are considering a good used pro-level instrument?

I'd think that any of the top-line saxophones would work - Yamaha's 875, Yanagisawas of any model, Selmer Serie II or Ref 54's . . . DAVE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I say that as those are the two horns that I’ve been considering however I am not opposed to other brands. I struggle going with used horns as I generally can’t try them before hand as there’s few resale stores around. I’m trying to keep the budget on the low side as I’m a high school Bari player looking for something that will do the job without breaking the bank. If I could I would go with the 875 or a SA-80 I just don’t have that kind of change lying around

·
Registered
469 Posts
At one time I owned both horns. Sold the Allora and still have the Cannonball two years later. It fits me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Based on one playing experience with one Cannonball Vintage model at NAMM several years ago, I'd recommend that you also consider their Vintage Reborn model. The Vintage model I played was a prototype being prepared for retail sale and it was a dream-player. A guy I knew there wanted to buy it - don't know if he was able to do it, though.

Then, reports on SOTW about the Vintage Reborn model seemed to back up my original opinion about the Vintage.

I don't know Cannonball pricing but I would expect the Vintage Reborn to be in the same price range as the model you listed. Could be wrong . . . DAVE

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also have a Vintage Reborn alto and agree with Dave. If my memory is good, and the jury is still out on that one, the VR was about $200.00 less than the BB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts