Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find much information anywhere about the Allora brand (either Allora Vienna or Allora Paris.) Does anyone have any experience with them, specifically the baris?

I'm a college student trying to buy my own. Mostly for marching/pep band but I also might use it for concert band. (Yes I know I'm crazy. Now that we've covered that let's move on, shall we? Sorry I've gotten way too much crap from former band directors and my dad about it.) Note the "college" part. Aka I don't have a lot of money. By the end of summer I should have enough to buy the $2300 Allora Vienna (maybe the $2500 Allora Paris) bari I see on WWBW, but I can't find a lot of information about the brand, even on here, and I want to be careful and make sure I'm not buying a complete piece of crap. It doesn't need to be the most amazing horn in the world- I'm not even a music major or anything- but I don't want it to start falling apart on me, you know?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions for <$3k baris that'd be cool too, but I don't want a fixer-upper or anything.
(I know I'm not going to end up as lucky as my friend who managed to get a $20-something hundred YBS-52 on craigslist :/ )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,372 Posts
Allora is a name owned by WWBW. They source instruments in Taiwan or China and put the name Allora. I'm not being negative. It's the same as Sears selling dishwashers made by other companies and putting their brand "Kenmore" on it. Still a good dishwasher. These are called stencil in the sax world. I don't have any direct experience with these baritones, but they are probably decent student instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,511 Posts
You can be negative if you want, Soy....it's OK.

Some of these off-brands are OK and respectable, most are not. Allora is not a name which has rec'd high regard around here, however.

$2300 is a good chunk of change. Why spend it on an iffy budget asian horn of questionable repute ?

It can buy you a completely worked up monster in the used market. If your intention was to buy on WWBW, you already were going to buy via internet w/o testing...so that is not an issue.

(BTW...no gratuitous plugs here, I have no Low A's available myself).

All I am suggesting is you can easily get an Intermediate or Pro used BigHorn for that sorta money...Yanagisawa stencil, Yamaha, Conn 11M, Selmer USA, Jupiter, perhaps some older French or German make.....these are all very solid horns with good reputations.....eFlay is full of them, just make sure the horn is described as completely playing and needing now work, and make sure that the seller has a return policy.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sprinkles: I can only strengthen what the other two have said: You really might want to peruse some sites which offer used horns - for that kind of dough, you can get a much(!) better horn than any no-name (or branded) one of uncertain origin.

George didn't mention it - he hardly ever does - but he has some very fine offers on his site right now, one of which I can hardly keep myself from buying despite the fact that I really don't need another bari ... a '68 11M for very(!) little money. Take a look if you're at it! Heck, if shipping to Switzerland wasn't that expensive, I'd buy that horn anyway - it's hard to believe it still hasn't found any takers.

M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts