Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For chord scales do you guys use the mix with a b9 rather than the normal 9, a half step whole step diminished scale or , the altered scale? I'm doing them all half whole diminished and i'm wondering if that is better than the alt? K Or different flavors. K

·
Registered
357 Posts
I personally prefer the altered scale as I think of those changes in Stella as melodic minor ii-Vs; Bottom line though, is just to use what sounds good to you or what is most doable.

I have always been curious what percentage of pianists (or guitarists) use all of the alterations (#/b 9, #11, b13) in their voicings as opposed to just the b9.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Like minor harmonic. To play everything with a #11 like in altered is something to be carefull of. But the pianoplayer will lead. Last 8 bars a lot is possible as they play chromatic II-V a lot. im not sure but i think the aebersold has a few different versions. One with the first 2 bars played like Eminor9 | A9 || as a lot of people dont like that much.....
I dont know if half-whole steps works because of a lot of these V7 are going to minor but i guess thats also what you like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,569 Posts
Everything.
My favorite tenor solo on Stella is Ira Sullivan's from Red Rodney's Red Arrow....give a listen if you can find it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
823 Posts
The guitarist in comping mode will ignore the root as being covered in the bass and assemble his chosen portion of the chord as he sees fit.
Come to think of it, the pianist will do the same in a small group setting with a bassist onboard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts