Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Its been a few years since I've posted any recordings here, and I got bored today and did one and was hoping for another beating (it's been too long :mrgreen: )

http://bargar.net/allthings.mp3

Thanks for the advice guys, have a good weekend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
No beating here, wisedude. This isn't a criticism; rather an observation. You sound a little winded nearing the end of some of your phrasing. I can't say whether it's from not practicing long tones, or perhaps you're a smoker, but it is noticeable.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Well you do sound bored so I guess that conveys the feeling. But consider what Mel Martin , Art Lande and others taught me, start by knowing the words of the tune so you have a feeling and understanding to work from. Also listen to the great singers do the standards so you here the full potential of the melody. If the melody sounds dull what chance does the improv have?
Here are the lyrics, they have a very strong feeling to them. Work from that, play more with a feeling like you love what you are doing and the tune will start to come alive, just my opinion.

Lyrics:
Time and again I've longed for adventure,
Something to make my heart beat the faster.
What did I long for? I never really knew.
Finding your love I've found my adventure,
Touching your hand, my heart beats the faster,
All that I want in all of this world is you.
(Chorus)
You are the promised kiss of springtime
That makes the lonely winter seem long.
You are the breathless hush of evening
That trembles on the brink of a lovely song.
You are the angel glow that lights a star,
The dearest things I know are what you are.
Some day my happy arms will hold you,
And some day I'll know that moment divine,
When all the things you are, are mine!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Make playing IN TIME a priority. Until you can do it without it, you should use a metronome on 2 & 4 to help hold you accountable. It's close, but the lack of GREAT time makes it really hard to enjoy anything about your playing.

·
2,853 Posts
It did sound like you were bored and that's how it left me. I only heard half of it. Even when playing one note, I think you have to turn that one note into music not just sound. I agree that if you know the lyrics, you know what feeling is supposed to pull through. Thanks for letting us listen.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Here are the lyrics, they have a very strong feeling to them.
Lyrics:
Time and again I've longed for adventure,
Something to make my heart beat the faster.
What did I long for? I never really knew.
Finding your love I've found my adventure,
Touching your hand, my heart beats the faster,
All that I want in all of this world is you.
(Chorus)
You are the promised kiss of springtime
That makes the lonely winter seem long.
You are the breathless hush of evening
That trembles on the brink of a lovely song.
You are the angel glow that lights a star,
The dearest things I know are what you are.
Some day my happy arms will hold you,
And some day I'll know that moment divine,
When all the things you are, are mine!
Thanks for printing this. People always omit the verse. (Why?!)

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. Listening to it again a few days later i realize how messed up the time is. When I'd recorded it I'd thought it would be cool to only loosely follow time since I had no backing, but it's definitely a little distracting to say the least. I'll make sure next time to stay in time

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Yes, you do need to improve your time. But I did like your tone a lot and I enjoyed many of your improvisational ideas and the phrasing as well.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Yes, you do need to improve your time. But I did like your tone a lot and I enjoyed many of your improvisational ideas and the phrasing as well.
I'll second that. Like everybody, I heard the timing issues, but I also heard the nice tone and good jazz vocabulary, so there's plenty of nice stuff there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts