Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Awesome, Dave! Love the 3ness. We were alL, (Jeff, you and me), bobbing up and down together.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think this is my favourite video of the two of you yet.

Love the fragmented nature of the begginning of your solo, and the build. Then how Jeff carried on the journey in a slightly more relaxed way, really sounds like two friends having a conversation, with one person getting more animated and the other calming them down and reassuring them. Or maybe that's just me.

Love this song in different times sigs as well, perhaps you could do it in 7 like the Brad Mehldau arrangement? The stabs he plays at the start wpuld sound awesome on saxes!

https://youtu.be/XjBFQowVvUA

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, Dave! Love the 3ness. We were alL, (Jeff, you and me), bobbing up and down together.
Thanks so much!

I think this is my favourite video of the two of you yet.

Love the fragmented nature of the begginning of your solo, and the build. Then how Jeff carried on the journey in a slightly more relaxed way, really sounds like two friends having a conversation, with one person getting more animated and the other calming them down and reassuring them. Or maybe that's just me.

Love this song in different times sigs as well, perhaps you could do it in 7 like the Brad Mehldau arrangement? The stabs he plays at the start wpuld sound awesome on saxes!

https://youtu.be/XjBFQowVvUA
Thank you! I love playing it in 7...we were actually going to do that but 3 has a cool vibe that we figured we’d go with instead.

This is great, love it
Appreciate that!

Sounds fantastic, Dave!
You always have so much fun!
Always man, you know how I do!

·
Registered
640 Posts
every time better than the previous one !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,386 Posts
First off changing time sigs is great as is changing styles. At my con hospital gigs somedays well play all the songs as reggaes or funk or waltzes of just different. Also, if we do something easy like blue bossa or somewhere over the rainbow I'll change keys without telling the Guitarist and thats fun. He finds me by the third bar. Your video is awesome. Both you and your friend play great. I guess these are just fun for you or to tease getting students. If you ever wanted to I think it would be cool for you to add some text and just a short I'm doing this over the chorus you are playing. For instance your first chorus was very cool and I though might have come out of something you had practiced on the changes. Just for facility. Or times you drop a different tonality or feel on a chord it might be cool to see , went to sub or whole tone lick for this, or heres how I set up the double time. I guess for me I'm almost more interested in how you think and how that comes out the horn than just the notes. But as I can tell from Brecker or Sanborn or many other great players, you can often hear what they have been recently practicing by their solos so your vids do that. I really also like the ability to watch two players approach and play a song differently , good idea you can milk if you wanted to.vids of you and someone from england doing a tune you both like? Or even have you play a song like ATTYA as a jazz song and joe willy can sing it in arkansas like a country ballad. UHH OHHH an idea too far. You and your friend sound wonderful Dave, keep it UP K

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hey everyone,

Back with volume 9 of my "Worldwide Sessions" series featuring Jeff Reid from Brisbane, Australia. In this week's video we're playing "All the Things You Are" in 3. I hope you enjoy it and like always, let me know what you think!

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts