Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL NEW CE Winds Tribute Series "The Sig", tribute to Otto Link Tone Edge Slant Sig Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

We are excited to announce the newest mouthpiece to The Tribute Series line from CE Winds - The Sig Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

We are probably the most excited about this one, we have always been a huge fan of the vintage Tone Edge Slant Sig, there was something always special about those mouthpieces, and anyone who ever played one can probably agree with us on that. Our goal was to get as close to that as we can, and we feel like we've nailed it on the head. If you have played a Slant Sig Tenor, own a Slant Sig Tenor, or have always wanted to buy one, we feel that The Sig will not disappoint.

We've recorded a quick in shop video of The Sig, and we expect to have more videos soon. Check it out here:

Here are some images of The Sig

View attachment 48695
View attachment 48696
View attachment 48697

As we have with all of our Tribute Series pieces, we are running an introductory special on this one, limited to a certain amount of mouthpieces. There is no coupon for the discount, you can just order one and once we hit the order limit the price will return to the regular price.

These are 100% handmade in our shop in Ft Myers, FL, and come in our Vintage HR model. Sizes available are .100, .105, .110 and .115.

We are looking forward to hearing everyone feedback on this one.

Visit our site to order one online - the first 15 orders will ship by next Friday. 7 Day Money Back Guarantee!

http://www.cewinds.com/the-sig-tenor-saxophone-mouthpiece.html

·
Registered
69 Posts
Re: ALL NEW CE Winds Tribute Series "The Sig", tribute to Otto Link Tone Edge Slant Sig Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

Thanks for the info, looks and sound awesome, I really like it.

Actually I live in Venezuela. I wonder if I can buy it on next week and you keep to send it on the next days to a friend who will be visiting San Francisco, as soon as I have his hotel address I will let you know... Thanks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ALL NEW CE Winds Tribute Series "The Sig", tribute to Otto Link Tone Edge Slant Sig Tenor Saxophone Mouthpiece

Sounds good. Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts

This sounds like a very nice mpc......more clips please.....Peace

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thanks for the info, looks and sound awesome, I really like it.

Actually I live in Venezuela. I wonder if I can buy it on next week and you keep to send it on the next days to a friend who will be visiting San Francisco, as soon as I have his hotel address I will let you know... Thanks.
Thanks, I will do it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This sounds like a very nice mpc......more clips please.....Peace
We have another clip on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cewinds (waiting for the original file so i can post it to youtube)

Hopefully we will see more clips rolling in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here is the clip of James Archer playing The Sig on a The Martin Committee III Tenor

·
Registered
492 Posts

Here is a clip comparing a Sig with the actual vintage Florida Tone edge that we modeled it after.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Piece sounds great!

·
Registered
8,076 Posts

Why won't anyone make these things in smaller tips where they play well..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What size tip are you looking for?

The .105 plays like a much smaller tip opening. I usually play a .097 on tenor and have no issues with a .110 on The Sig.

Being handmade, we feel they are much more responsive and they play easier than most mouthpieces, even with a wider opening.

Even the older Otto Link Tone Edges in anything less than a 7 aren't even as sought after as the larger openings, which tells where the majority of the market is with sizes on this style of mouthpiece.

If you need something smaller we can special make a smaller opening, or if you are willing to try the .105 it just may work out for you.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts

Subjective comment of the year. Come on. You know just as well as I do that it's the player not the tip opening. Joel Frahm doesn't have an issue with his Slant Sig 9 (at least when he was playing it full time). Bergonzi never had any issues with his EB 10* or whatever size it is. It's all personal preference and TONS of practice. There are hundreds of amazing players that use Very open pieces and there are just as many that use moderate to smaller tip openings. It really doesn't matter.

Why don't you post a sound clip of the smaller tip Link style pieces that sound so much better:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
1,594 Posts

Waiting for my "The Sig" in .105 opening. Now all what I need is a sax to play with this piece. LOL :mrgreen:

·
273 Posts

Now that's serious GAS!

·
1,594 Posts

Now that's serious GAS!
hahaha not really. In fact I was not looking for another tenor piece and I confess that I had to overcome my resistance in purchasing this one. I am aware that the pieces coming out of CE Winds in Fort Myers are somehow exquisit. I'm using a 5 Spot on my Zephyr Alto and I liked it very much, a real Bang for the buck. I also have a Legend 1 which I tested on a Taiwanese tenor, great piece and flawless made and I thought it was but the SIG came out and is supposed to be the best MPC they have made until now. I'm expecting "The Sig" will work great on my Conn Tenor which is being restored right now by Doc Frazier. So I granted myself an exemplar of the Sig for the intro price, hard to be beaten for 165U$. Resistance was futile.:) I was thinking of a Robusto 7* (to be purchased in 2014) but a Slant copy for the half price was a serious contender and based on my current experience with the other CE pieces it was a safe bet.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

What size tip are you looking for?

The .105 plays like a much smaller tip opening. I usually play a .097 on tenor and have no issues with a .110 on The Sig.
This is really confusing. How should i now decide which tip to buy? If i am used to a tip of 0.110" on a lot of mpcs but the Sig feels much smaller (there is a big difference between 0.097" and 0.105", on most mpcs this would make a difference to me whether i will be able to play it or not) which size is now correct? honestly how should now someone decide whicht tipsize is the best for him?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

All I was saying was that I was comfortable on a larger opening. If you already play a larger opening then you will be used to it. If you play a .110, then order a .110.

·
1,594 Posts

Florian, people say that the opening 7* (linkish) is a kind of "standard" or ideal opening for tenor pieces. I started pretty early with the 7* Link and then everytime I tested a new mouthpiece I looked at a mouthpiece comparison chart to choose the same opening. bigger openings are in theory more difficult to control than smaller ones. When CE Winds says that it plays like a much smaller tip opening I understand that he is telling "it is in spite of this opening "easier" to play, like a Mpc with a smaller opening.
Your embouchure gets used with the opening you choose , the bigger the opening the stronger the embouchure must be and with the practice the embouchure gets stronger.
I think the opening 7* (Link oriented) is a very good compromise. it corresponds 0,105 thousandths of an Inch. a MPC with 0.97 is like an OL 6*.

the Sig .105 is also as open as a Link 7*

here is a Mouthpiece comparison chart you can study.

http://www.bill-lewington.com/charts/tnrsax.htm

Leg los und viel Glück. :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Florian, people say that the opening 7* (linkish) is a kind of "standard" or ideal opening for tenor pieces. I started pretty early with the 7* Link and then everytime I tested a new mouthpiece I looked at a mouthpiece comparison chart to choose the same opening. bigger openings are in theory more difficult to control than smaller ones. When CE Winds says that it plays like a much smaller tip opening I understand that he is telling "it is in spite of this opening "easier" to play, like a Mpc with a smaller opening.
Your embouchure gets used with the opening you choose , the bigger the opening the stronger the embouchure must be and with the practice the embouchure gets stronger.
I think the opening 7* (Link oriented) is a very good compromise. it corresponds 0,105 thousandths of an Inch. a MPC with 0.97 is like an OL 6*.

the Sig .105 is also as open as a Link 7*

Thanks but that is not the problem i meant. Despite the fact that some mpcs of some producers are often smaller than what the signatur says (e.g. Link or Berg Larsen), there are also some mpcs that feel smaller than their actual tip opening is. I had several mpcs with the right tip opening but chamber, baffle and facing easily can make it feel smaller or bigger. Like you i have started with a Link in 0.105" but switched while studying saxophone and clarinet at university to other mpcs that did work better for me.
For some years i no longer play metall mpcs (because of the reaction to my dental fillings) and went on. Now i play something between 0.108" and 0.110" and i had some mpcs with 0.110" that felt smaller than the ones with 0.108" also many of these mpcs had similar chambers and baffles and the correct tip opening was controlled with Wanne's tool. So the differernce could only be in the facing.
But if i hear that someone normally plays on a 0.097" and feels comfortable with the 0.110" i wonder how comfortable a 0.110" will feel for me or whether something more open makes more sense because a 0.110" could feel too small or uncomfortable. Difficult to tell. I am really sensitive regarding tip openings and blowing resistance.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts

I guess I have the exact opposite concept. The stronger your embouchure and the longer you've played the sax, the looser the embouchure should be as far as the jaw is concerned. The muscles will be stronger from the time put in.
I'm sure a lot of us have met guys that can blow down the walls on a C star.
The big tip, big sound misconception is a common rookie mistake.

Not a Link, but a Soloist with a 0.90 tip opening. I use a Link hard rubber 6 for pit work because I like their evenness and they play darker than the Soloist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gO4ZcNKtc

1 - 20 of 36 Posts