Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, for Blues, R&B and Rock and Roll gigs, I've been tending more and more towards "dressing up" on the stand. You know...jacket, thin tie, slacks, shades, etc. I've even started to wear a (colorful) shiny tux jacket and similar things. My band mates don't seem to get it...i haven't exactly explained my odd behavior and i realize that they may not even be aware of how it was "back in the day".

I mean, I like to dress but I also do it out a of sense of authenticity and respect for the originators of the music (R&R, R&B, Chicago Blues, etc). You never saw those cats "dressing down" like people do nowadays...even the Blues Brothers picked up on that! I've been told that the stand was almost on par with the pulpit in terms of "intrinsic expectations" including, but not limited to "looking your best".

So i'm wondering, how SOTWers dress for the gig?...T-shirt and baggy shorts?... A sort of 50-60's sensibility and style?... Or?
:cool:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
I dress pretty much like my avatar for gigs, except I might where jeans.

That being said, dress how you feel comfortable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,500 Posts
I don't fake it with skinny ties and shades but I do shine my shoes, wear pressed slacks and a business shirt for jazz gigs.

I played with The Jersey Blues (a big band/dance band) in the 70s in Asbury, NJ, and the whole band wore blue sequin jackets. Hmmm, we drank too much too.

·
2,312 Posts
Looking sharp is always a good idea. But a tux on a Blues gig seems a little much. For warm weather I like silk Hawiian shirts with shirttails worn outside of pleated pants. For cold weather a suit and tie but maybe without the jacket. I like hip lids too: porkpies, diamond crowns, fedoras, etc.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,215 Posts
RS said:
Looking sharp is always a good idea. But a tux on a Blues gig seems a little much. For warm weather I like silk Hawiian shirts with shirttails worn outside of pleated pants. For cold weather a suit and tie but maybe without the jacket. I like hip lids too: porkpies, diamond crowns, fedoras, etc.
I used to wear fedoras etc.

Now I'm just too proud of the fact I still have hair to wear a lid onstage.:D

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
For me since the only gig I usually play is at my church :(. Sunday mornings a collard shirt, and blue jeans with sneakers. Becuase it is comfortable, and no one can see me anyway. For the serious shows IE. Christmas/Easter/4rth of July. Black T-shirt/dress pants/shoes/socks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm reading a biography of Sam Cooke and you better believe those cats dressed. Now a down home style blues band might have been a different story.

Meanwhile it sounds as if the rest of the band isn't following along so you might be sticking out like a sore thumb.

Now don't get me wrong I loved the Blues Brothers movie (and the band wasn't bad either) but I hated it when some act around here started doing that MIB thing. Just to corny.

Now I used to play in a band in the 80's that had a psychedelic cowboy vibe and we used to change for each set. It was fun for a while, but eventually I got tired of it and was ready to leave that and the 20 black lights at home:cool: I just did a reunion with that band for a friends memorial show and we all decide to go with black pants, white shirt, and black jacket. Me and the drummer went with black vests though - I played congas as well - for comfort.

I got called to sub on bongos for a local 12 piece Salsa band a couple of weeks ago and I was the one sticking out like a sore thumb. I was working the stage in shorts, T shirt, and hiking boots and just had time to get my bongos out of the car and brought up to pitch about the second bar of the first song. They weren't wearing tuxes but they were dressed better than me.

So I guess it depends on the band and the gig, but I do think it's cool to set your look apart from the crowd in some manner.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I also play only in church (on Wednesday nights) and we (the choir) have to dress up for that, skirts for the women (no jeans or pants unless it's winter), blazer and dark pants for the guys. I wear a suit to work and go to the church from work, so it's no hassle for me.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,195 Posts
I didn't know they allowed the real BLUES in church??! Of course, there's no way I could know, lol. I can only go by hearsay.

Yeah, on a gig (I'm afraid most of my gigs are in bars, some of them with a real blues feel to them!) I dress better than I usually do. Generally Hawiian type shirt with slacks & nice shoes. Occasionally I'll add a sport coat.

·
33,500 Posts
martysax said:
This is how a guy 10 years older than the rest of the band dresses for a blooze gig:
So the average age of rest of the band is what, 55? :D

·
33,500 Posts
hakukani said:
Now I'm just too proud of the fact I still have hair to wear a lid onstage.:D
I've got a good looking head - no need to cover it with anything (indoors)!

·
33,500 Posts
Carbs said:
Sunday mornings a collard shirt, and blue jeans with sneakers.
A "collard" shirt? Is that anything like "mustard greens"?

Funny, when I was a kid, Sunday was dress-up day (still is in many churches). I wouldn't imagine wearing sneakers.

Carbs said:
For the serious shows IE. Christmas/Easter/4rth of July. Black T-shirt/dress pants/shoes/socks.
I don't understand why 4th of the July is more "serious" that church...

No socks on Sundays? I don't get how or why a black T-shirt is more appropriate for Easter or Christmas either. Those are typically the more gaily colored holidays/observations. Black T-shirts are for riding your motorcycle when you don't want the road grime and bugs to show.

I like Giles approach. Simple.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Dr G said:
A "collard" shirt? Is that anything like "mustard greens"?

Funny, when I was a kid, Sunday was dress-up day (still is in many churches). I wouldn't imagine wearing sneakers.

I don't understand why 4th of the July is more "serious" that church...

No socks on Sundays? I don't get how or why a black T-shirt is more appropriate for Easter or Christmas either. Those are typically the more gaily colored holidays/observations. Black T-shirts are for riding your motorcycle when you don't want the road grime and bugs to show.

I like Giles approach. Simple.
Fine Button down shirt, nice pair of blue jeans, and sneakers which are old. Most kids wear sneakers to church, espicially as they get closer to college. Mine are a few months old and I wore them to work. I am waiting for Tax free day. I usually just wear regular socks, white. For those special days everything is black. If we wear anything other than black in the pit, then people can see us as we play drawing attention away from the Choir.

·
33,500 Posts
Ah, the pit. Cool.

I play the occasional church service too but there we (classical quartet) are featured rather than background. We dress well and sit in the front row until we walk to the stage a few times during each service to play.

Nothing on you, Carbs, but the whole thing of "dress so people won't see you" is kind of funny to me. It's not like they can't hear you! Now they have to crane their necks and twist in their seats during service looking for the band. "Hey, I hear a band but I can't see them. I wonder where they are?" ;)

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Hey Dr. G, I know we get a good crack out of each time we are asked to dress that way to. We play worse then the choir looks ;). Ok maybe not that bad.

·
3,494 Posts
Dr G said:
So the average age of rest of the band is what, 55? :D

Geez, lookin' at your avatar, Dr G., you sure can talk.;)

BTW, the 'mustard greens' comment was a laugh.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts