Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, It's been a while since the last time I've posted here on sotw, I've been pretty busy in the last two months...with both music and family...
Anyway...I've spent the last two days in the studio recording my third album, and I now am really happy!
The organic is trio : me on baritone sax (on the whole record), Pietro Ciancaglini on doublebass and Andrea Nunzi on drums.
Pietro has performed here in Italy with Joe Lovano, Bob Mintzer, Lee Konitz, George Garzone, Joe Chambers and he has recently released an album entitled "Second Phase" with Dave Kikoski and Ferenc Nemeth for Via Veneto Jazz label.
Andrea Nunzi has played with Steve Grossman and Walter Blanding and with the major italian players such as Maurizio Giammarco, Carlo Atti, Max Ionata and more.
Playing and recording with this level of musicians has been a treasure experience for me. Sometimes you need some pressure to play at your best level and to practice more and more.
I have recorded this video in the studio, during a pause in the recording sessions.
This is a prototype of a mouthpiece made by Alessandro Degola in Modena, Italy.
It is based on the Otto Link Slant signature (my main mouthpiece since three years) but it has a larger chamber (it's like a lunar crater!) and a bit more material in the baffle.
The material is high quality hard rubber...you know the smell tells the truth!
I've used my '45 Conn 12M and a brand new vandoren blue box 3 reed with a FL pure brass lig.
I would like to have a feedback from you.
Bye, have a good sax time!
Fabrizio

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Fantastic! When does your new recording come out?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bob thank you!Well...in this moment I dont' know, I'm going to do the mixing session in the next January.
Then I will start the "long way to the label" trying to choose the best options (they often offer you the worst ones haha!).
I would like to stamp my album both on CDs and vynils, what do you think?
I still prefer buying vynils over cds, but maybe I'm just an old fashioned boy!
I don't know the costs though...
Vynils are more fascinating to me both for the artwork and soundwise

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Fabrizio - I would definitely by the recording in vinyl and possibly also a digital download. A few years ago I started buying vinyl again because some of the recordings that I wanted had not been digitized and come to the conclusion that the sound of vinyl through a good system is better than that of a CD. Unfortunately, I can't provide any information on how much it costs.

BTW, the horn you see in my avatar is my Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" (model 139) from around 1938. These were made to order and are quite different than the Big B. Since getting this horn about 15-months ago, I have become primarily a bari player.

Is the FL Pure Brass lig you use the one made for Bass Clarinet?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Bob, I agree with you on the vinyl sound.
I also have a good audio system, not a million dollar one, but a good one: onix preamp and power amp and aurum cantus speakers.
I don't know the horn that you have, but I've tried a buescher tenor of a friend of mine and it had a very good sound, so maybe the bari could also be that good.
The only good baris I've tried were 3 conns (two 12M and one transitional) and one five digit low A selmer mark VI.
I've picked up this silver plated 12M (311,XXX rolled tone holes) because to me it had the best sound and the more even register.
The ligature is the francois louis "pure brass" XL for baritone sax https://www.thomann.de/it/francois_louis_ultimate_pure_brass_bari_xl_m.htm#bewertung
much better construction than the previous "ultimate ligature" model. It hold the reeds better and it doesn't slide off when you insert the mouthpiece into the the cork

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,092 Posts
Very nice, as usual, Fabrizio.

You didn't like the Keilwerth bari? You sound great on all of them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you BH9 you are very kind!
The Keilwerth is a good saxophone in the "new" instruments panorama, but in my opinion nothing can beat a good 12M built in the "rolled tones era".
I've tried many new selmers, very very nice players selmer mark VI both low Bb and low A but nothing touches the Conn.
Of course this is only my personal opinion, there are incredible players that comes to my mind that have excellent results on mark VIs, like Pepper Adams, Ronnie Cuber and Frank Basile.
I've been to a vintage sax store and I've tried lots of very good baris: 3 mark VIs: 2low Bb in the 100,xxx serial range, 1 very fine 55,XXX low A and 2 12Ms Conns (one silver and one brass).
I've selected this 311,XXX silver plated 12M.
All of the horns were great and there was absolutely anything wrong with them,but this particular instrument game me the right feeling after 5 minutes.
You can sound good on many instrument if you have a good embouchure, technique and if you have developed a sound concept that suits your playing style, but if you find the right instrument for you you can experience a different feeling with it.
In believe that you can learn to play the instrument practicing hard and probably in a year you will get better with it, but you realize the very good one after playing it for ten minutes.
If I don't like the instrument from the very first time I blow it I think thats it's not for me, it could be a good partner, but not the one that you want to "marry"...
I strongly prefer a low Bb to low A horn both for the sound and for the less weight.

·
2,092 Posts
I have a silver plated Conn too, Fabrizio, but earlier than yours, and agree there is something special about them. It is very good that you've found one that speaks to you. To us, you sound wonderful on it or any other.

I hope that when your new recording is done you will make it available as a digital download.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Fabrizio - After hearing you on the Algola Slant copy, I pulled out my Mouthpiece Cafe Slant Supreme, a Slant copy made by Erik Greiffenhagen which I had not played in a while. BH9 will get a kick out of this because we have exchanged PMs about this mouthpiece in the past, but I now love it on my Buescher. Previously, I had problems with squeeking on a D'addario RJS 2H, but have no such problem with a 3S or Lavoz medium. The other issue I have is that it is tough to find a ligature which fits well. The Rovner Bass Clarinet lig as a bit too big and the Silverstein which I use on my RPC is a bit too small. Based on your recommendation above, I ordered a FL Pure Brass baritone XL from Sax Alley. If that does the trick, the Slant Supreme will become my new go to mouthpiece. It has great presence in the bottom register and a beautiful, dark sound in the upper.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@BH9 yes my new record will surely be available both as a digital download and as phisical CDs. (I did the same in the past for my 2 albums "Mr jobhopper" -2012 alfa music- and "crossthing" -2013 alfa music)
I'm thinking about printing few copies on vynils too, but i don't know the costs.
@Bob M The FL pure brass fits perfectly both on my Otto Link slant and on the Algola, I haven't tried the slant supreme, but if it has the same dimensions as a standard Otto Link HR it will surely fits great. It gives a solid vibration and assures a secure fit.
The other solution could be the old selmer 2 screw lig, but now it's becoming hard to find for bari.
I don't know why selmer stopped to produce their 2 screw ligs that were absolutely great and durable.
Now selmer makes the one screw lig that frankly I don't like both in sound and response.
It's not beacause of the 2 screw vs one; selmer has completely changed the entire design of the ligature and I don't know why...
Vintage saxes especially big bore ones gives their best with a big chambered mouthpieces, both on sound and intonation.
I think that they were designed to be played with that kind of mouthpiece.
Let me know your experience after receiving the FL, Bye, Fabrizio

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Beautiful sound, Fabrizio! Baritone is quite a formidable horn and some people who play it just kind of honk out the notes, but you play with so much control and subtlety. It's really a pleasure to listen to you play.

·
2,092 Posts
Fabrizio - After hearing you on the Algola Slant copy, I pulled out my Mouthpiece Cafe Slant Supreme, a Slant copy made by Erik Greiffenhagen which I had not played in a while. BH9 will get a kick out of this because we have exchanged PMs about this mouthpiece in the past, but I now love it on my Buescher. Previously, I had problems with squeeking on a D'addario RJS 2H, but have no such problem with a 3S or Lavoz medium. The other issue I have is that it is tough to find a ligature which fits well. The Rovner Bass Clarinet lig as a bit too big and the Silverstein which I use on my RPC is a bit too small. Based on your recommendation above, I ordered a FL Pure Brass baritone XL from Sax Alley. If that does the trick, the Slant Supreme will become my new go to mouthpiece. It has great presence in the bottom register and a beautiful, dark sound in the upper.
Bob, Rovner works on mine.

Office equipment Font Office supplies Electronic device Cable

Pen Eyewear Writing implement Office supplies Office equipment

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am Algola and I am very honored to read you and read your opinions.
The mouthpiece is made of pure ebonite from the whole bar and machined with 5-axis cnc, this only to get the inner chamber. All the mouthpieces are then finished by hand and with specially designed tools to make hand facing with assistance. enjoy listening and have fun with the baritone.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
BH9 - Thanks for the information. I bought a Rovner Bass Clarinet lig based input from a couple of year old thread which suggested that it works on an original Slant and (IIRC) Pete Thomas' copy. It is too big for the Slant Supreme, however. It looks like yours works well though.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I am Algola and I am very honored to read you and read your opinions.
The mouthpiece is made of pure ebonite from the whole bar and machined with 5-axis cnc, this only to get the inner chamber. All the mouthpieces are then finished by hand and with specially designed tools to make hand facing with assistance. enjoy listening and have fun with the baritone.
algola - Thanks for this information. Do you plan to begin offering these for sale, or was this more of a 1-off mouthpiece?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Fabrizio - My FL Pure Brass XL arrived yesterday, so I got to practice with it last night. It fits....and works...really well on my Slant Supreme. Thanks again for the recommendation! BTW, I'm sure you love tenor, but in my humble opinion you should seriously consider focusing more on baritone. You have a fantastic sound and concept on the instrument and play it like you were born to.

P.S. I also just responded to an old thread of yours asking which case you ended up getting.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you Bob. I'm glad that the FL works great for your mouthpiece. I have been focusing more on baritone for the last two years, in fact I decided to play only baritone on my entire new album. Of course I play also tenor and sometimes alto as a musician. But I concentrate all my study on the Bari sax.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.