Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy the 1966 Sonny Rollins album "Alfie" on which he plays tunes that he composed and recorded for the 1965 British film of the same name. Wikipedia says that the album "features performances by Rollins, with Kenny Burrell, Jimmy Cleveland, J.J. Johnson and Roger Kellaway, arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson".

But the soundtrack of the film itself features music recorded by Rollins with a group of British jazz musicians. A Tubby Hayes discography says it was:

18 and 22-25.10.65

Alfie Soundtrack

Keith Christie (tb), Sonny Rollins, Ronnie Scott, Hayes (ts), Stan Tracey (p), Ernie Shear or Dave Goldberg (g), Johnny Hawksworth (b) and Phil Seamen (d).

Twickenham Studios, London, UK.

Alfie Theme
Incidental Music

But an interview with bass player Rick Laird in Guitar Player magazine (1980) said:
'Thirsting for more knowledge, Rick studied from 1963 to'64 at London's Guild Hall school. There he learned bowing techniques from a classical bassist and in the meantime continued to pick up ideas from records as well. And from his work at Ronnie Scott's he received a call from saxophonist Sonny Rollins to record the soundtrack for the movie Alfie in 1965. "When Sonny Rollins called me from New York and asked me to do it, I was really thrilled," Laird recalls. "It was really interesting, because we had no music to work from. We just went to the studio, and while they ran the film for us we improvised to the scenes taking place on the screen. We had a few basic themes, but for the most part it was all spontaneous."​

I have the film on DVD and it is very much of its period (and also miles better than the 2004 remake). The music is excellent, but altogether lasts only about 11 minutes, with some of that covered up by dialogue and other sounds.

As far as I know the real music recordings from the film soundtrack has never been released in any form. It's a shame it wasn't included as an extra feature on the DVD, but maybe that would have been problematical because of copyright or maybe the music isn't available on its own.

Does anyone have the film version of the music or know any more about it ?

Rhys

1 - 1 of 1 Posts