Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me information about this particular clarinet?

It's wood, and the only engravings say "Alexandre Paris - Made in the USA" and a 5 digit serial #. I'm assuming this is Alexandre Selmer? Any info would be great, came across this at a yard sale, sounds beautiful, needs a good cleanup though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

That one is nicer than mine, lol. I'm guessing mine must be a USA branch of that company; that one looks to be made right in paris. Also after talking to a few friends, it sounds like mine is from sometime around the 30's or 40's. But yes, with a few new springs and a nice thorough cleaning, she'll be a beauty. thanks for the help!

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,509 Posts
Alexandre clarinets are very old. THe originator of them are Alexandre Selmer. yup, Henris younger brother.

here's more info
http://www.saxmaniax.com/snclarinet.htm#Alexandre

they are very good clarinets and sound great after (and before) a nice overhaul. Next time I overhalu one i'm going to have to take bore measurements.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks more

Hey thanks for that link. It mentions that SN's 726x were made in 1926-27, so i'm guessing my 5 digit number must be late 30's or so. Did Bundy produce a line of clarinets stamped "Alexandre"?

Thanks again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
stevesklar said:
I find it interesting that it says "Alexandre Paris - Made in the USA"
I would assume it was made in France with the 'paris' on it.
Think "Paris Hilton"... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts