Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that Joshua Redman plays Alexander Superial Dc's #4s on Tenor. I've heard good things about these reeds, and wanted to try them out. I really like Redman's tone, and am going for that kind of a sound, my only concern is, the #4 sounds pretty hard I am currently playing Rico Jazz Selects 3 softs. Any one know what strength in the dc's is comparable to the 3 softs. I'm just concerned the #4's will be too hard for me. Thanks

-Justin-

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
Jazzman: No one knows what will work for you. You just have to buy a few boxes and work it out. But don't fear that you are wasting money - look through the REEDS section for threads about how to adjust them. So you find that 4's are too hard? Scrape 'em down so they play better for you. DAVE

·
687 Posts
I played DCs on tenor for years. they're really nice reeds, although once I switched to my current mouthpiece, I found that a much cheaper reed (La Voz) actually works better for it.

If I recall correctly, Redman's mouthpiece measures .105 (like a 7*) and he uses those 4 DCs. You have to match the strength of reed to the opening of your mouthpiece....he likes a medium tip opening with a hard reed. What size opening is your mouthpiece?

Aside from the fact that equipment sounds different for different players (meaning there's no guarantee that trying DCs will help you sound any more like Redman than you already do) I will compare the two reeds...I used Rico Jazz Select (filed and unfiled) 3 soft for about a year before I switched to DC. I used these on mouthpieces with tip openings between .100 and .110 (between a 7 and an 8). I think that the 3 softs are more like the strength in between a 2.5 and a 3 DC. The nice thing about reeds is that this is the cheapest way to experiment with your sound. If you order a tin of 2.5 and a tin of 3, that's 17 bucks each, and you will KNOW which one works better for you, as opposed to having us speculate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
I agree with Rahspeak. Seems to me DC 3s are close to RJS 3S, maybe a wee bit stiffer. If you like RJS 3S, DC 2s will be too soft.

·
687 Posts
well there you have it jazzman...you just gotta try reeds and experiment un til you find what you like, because EVERYONE is DIFFERENT. There is no way I could play a Blue Box 3.5 as easily with the same mouthpiece as a DC 3. DC 3.5s are softer, to me, than a Blue Box 3.5. yet this is Carbs's experience...which of us is right? we both are. these are our experiences and they are totally subjective.

this is why I have dozens of unplayed reeds in shoeboxes...because to find the right setups for me, i had to try a lot before I found the right ones. Luckily, a box of reeds is cheaper than a good mouthpiece, so I would rather have shoeboxes full of failed reeds than shoeboxes full of failed mouthpieces (which is a whole 'nother matter).

but yes...DCs are good reeds, so I'd say get a couple of tins of different strengths, and once you find which strength works for you, you should be happy.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
retread said:
I agree with Rahspeak. Seems to me DC 3s are close to RJS 3S, maybe a wee bit stiffer. If you like RJS 3S, DC 2s will be too soft.
I agree that probably the DC 3's are close to RJS 3S. I usually play a RJS 2H or 3S and found the DC 2 1/2's to be too soft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts