Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, he's not a "name brand player"....yet.

Alex Hoffman is 21 years old, from the Washington DC area. He linves in New York City and he's a rising star on the be-bop scene that thrives at "Smalls" in the Village. He swings his assoff with a big fat old-school tone reminicent of Lucky Thompson. Keep an ear out for this kid! He was a student of Paul Carr who also mentored a few other young saxophone phenoms like baritone man Jason Marshall and the twin wonders Wil and Pete Anderson.

http://www.alexhoffmanjazz.com/home.html

·
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I listened to one of the clips and I have to say I actually don't like it that much. He started out the solo rough and got out of time a little. I like his sound though, it kinda reminds me a little of sonny.
Keep in mind that he's only 21. At that age, a player can grow leaps and bound every six months. Many of my colleagues, including some legends, are very impressed with this young man.

·
5,092 Posts
You gotta consider, too: if the guy is just 21 now, how old was he when he made those clips...

More and more young cats to check out: Brandon Wright www.wrightjazz.com

Irwin Hall doesn't have a website, but he's up at St. Nick's on Monday nights from 1-3 if you're in the city. Anthony Ware is another hip young cat that hangs out there, but it's Irwin's gig. Heavy, heavy cat.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You've gotta be kidding me. This guy is a monster! So refreshing to hear his approach.
What? I'm not allowed to have an opinion of my own? To me his time sounded off on the begining of his solo on the clip i listened to. That's my opinion. This is a forum and everyone can state their opinion about something. If everyone liked the same thing it would be a dull place to be.

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
I guess I'm missing something/ He sounds good, I honestly wouldn't say great, and I most certainly wouldn't say "monster." He's good, give it 5 years, he'll probably be really good. I don't here anything "refreshing" about his approach. His tone sounds somewhat sloppy. He's got a lot of really nice lines. But now that I think of it, he's probably sounds miles better live, recordings do very few jazz musicians justice.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
What? I'm not allowed to have an opinion of my own? To me his time sounded off on the begining of his solo on the clip i listened to. That's my opinion. This is a forum and everyone can state their opinion about something. If everyone liked the same thing it would be a dull place to be.
I never said you weren't allowed to have an opinion of your own. I think it's interesting how quick a lot of younger guys around here are to nitpick at one of their own. The compliments from a player of BarrySachs's caliber (as well as his colleagues) are impressive and say something, too.

I was just a bit surprised, for my ears he's got a lot of stuff happening that takes a long time to develop--a great vocabulary, good phrasing. His playing feels like jazz.

But, to each his or her own! You're right--if everyone liked the same thing, how boring would that be?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Seems like there's always young guys like this around, lots of promise but in the end nothing susbstantial enough to separate them from all the rest.

I remember back in the early 90's there was an young alto player named Chris Holliday. He was supposed to be the next Charlie Parker, there was a lot of talk...

I think he put out a couple recordings and then was never heard from again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nice technique, I also like the tone, but it must be
the most boring stuff I heard in years.

What is it with this dead meat revivals?
No wonder, jazz smells funny, if it is dug out of
its own grave over and over
again
and
then it just
rots
a little bit more
and stinks a
tad harder

·
Registered
670 Posts
He sounds good...not great. He's young and maybe he will move in other directions musically. As for the old style playing, aint nothing wrong with that..I listen to Coleman Hawkins,Lockjaw, Ammons, Powell etc etc. This is where it came from...
Ahh to be young again and know what I know now....dream on little dreamer dream on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
i've seen him play a couple of times at smalls back in march...i like the way he puts his ideas together, it inspired me to rework somethings out in my playing after hearing him. the only thing i didn't fancy was his tone, like someone said earlier it does sound a little sloppy when you hear him in person, but i dunno, i was sitting right in front of him, it might sound better as it stretches through the room. and as for everyone saying stuff about his lines, imho you gotta be able to do that stuff pretty proficiently before you try to do your own thing...

btw, those clips seem a little old, he puts stuff together a lot differently, at least he did 4-5 months ago...the clips seem more toned down than his live persona...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
yeah. I'm glad I'm not the first one to say it.
He sounds like everyone else. No originality to speak of.
I guess he has gobs of technique and has studied a lot but whats the use if your not gonna do anything with it.

That being said I'm sure he'll work out his cloning issues in a few years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Okay, he's not a "name brand player"....yet.

Alex Hoffman is 21 years old, from the Washington DC area. He linves in New York City and he's a rising star on the be-bop scene that thrives at "Smalls" in the Village. He swings his assoff with a big fat old-school tone reminicent of Lucky Thompson. Keep an ear out for this kid! He was a student of Paul Carr who also mentored a few other young saxophone phenoms like baritone man Jason Marshall and the twin wonders Wil and Pete Anderson.

http://www.alexhoffmanjazz.com/home.html
As a person who understands " the state of the jazz scene" in todays world all to well....I agree with BarrySachs/ and can see where he's coming from with this. Its nice to hear a guy who CAN play and has an agenda. I'll be watching this guy/ and hope to see him live.

MY POINT TO SUPPORT.....Support from " within the ranks" is well dealt with by BarrySachs ( ANdy ) enthusian and committment to the musics. I dig what he's saying and hey....THE KID CAN PLAY.

Another point.....ok....LISTEN TO WHAT THE MUSICS DOING, NOT WHAT IT'S NOT.
I listen to enjoy and hear the guys story. In a year- I'm anxious to hear the story coninue. Or- where he goes with his art. I say- it's a good thing and like any young cat this guy is out there and TRYING. For that he has my respect. Dealing with jazz at times is like walking up wet glass- from the $$ side/ business/career. This cat sounds cool and he's on his journey. I wish him the best and applaude his teacher Paul Carr ( a good friend of mine,and very excellent player himself !! ) for the knowledge and committment.

This " art form" needs help- in every way.
More constructive posts like this instead of all the equipment smoking mirrors fantasy land brew-haha.;)

It's the music that we love and my hats off to Alex and Andy.
Good post Andy.....somebody buy that guy a beer!!!:):space5:

I'd sooner go hear music and listen than sit home with the 4walls and all that. Guys like this or our guys here like Razzy, Duke City, Side C, S.Marsh and, HonkBopSax,Andys Band at Birdland, Bari Sax Diva, Lisa from Oz [/I;) ]I'd jump out to hear in a NY minuite. It's about the music -:D
Its about the music-it's all we got.

On that note, I'm gonna open a " Blue Moon" and listen to some Zoot & Al and chill, as I just mowed my lawn and edged. My edger got a great vibrato, maybe its a Guardala? E bay anyone?????? hahaha........:albino::albino:

Ciao ~ remember " Listen To WhatThe Music Does...Not What it doesn't".:cool:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.