Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an alcohol lamp to use with clarinets and flutes. What kind of fuel would you recommend?

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Methylated Spirits. You can buy it in big 4 liter bottles cheap as chips. The Musicmedic lamp works well.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm in the dark here (is that a pun?). Can you enlighten (maybe another one) me on using a fuel lamp with an instrument. I can't imagine what's going on.

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Silly me - but why not use Alcohol in an Alcohol Lamp. Always worked for me in the past (But I have been using a bunsen burner for the past 10 years).

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
I'm in the dark here (is that a pun?). Can you enlighten (maybe another one) me on using a fuel lamp with an instrument. I can't imagine what's going on.
They are talking about for use in instrument repair. Pads are commonly held in with one of a few different materials - most of which use a flame to install or adjust (or remove) - thus the need for the alcohol lamp.

Charlie

·
Registered
472 Posts
Thanks graysax. I suppose I should have picked up on that being in Repair and maintenance!!

I had visions of an instrument in flames as part of an act.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Too much sugar in moonshine, burning it would gum up some keys quick with the nasties... actually naptha would work in a pinch (Ronson Lighter Fuel)...

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I purchase denature alcohol at the big box stores like Lowes or home depot for use in my alcohol lamp. My local mom and pop paint store carries it as well. About $15 per gallon. If you only intend to repair an occasional flute or clarinet, a quart will last quite a while. I go through a few gallons a year.

I'm considering buying an alcohol lamp to use with clarinets and flutes. What kind of fuel would you recommend?

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Not all alcohols are created equal. I've used rubbing alcohol, which I believe is isopropyl alcohol. The flame tends to go out frequently. Denatured alcohol works well, and if you like you can thin shellac with it.

Silly me - but why not use Alcohol in an Alcohol Lamp. Always worked for me in the past (But I have been using a bunsen burner for the past 10 years).

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Methylated Spirits. You can buy it in big 4 liter bottles cheap as chips. The Musicmedic lamp works well.
I don't think there is such a thing in USA. Their equivalent is "denatured alcohol".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts