Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey People,

I'll be in Albuquerque and Toas this weekend. How's the jazz scene down there?

Are there any music shops just I case I need reeds etc?

Who's the best tech around just in case I need a repair?

Any info would be great!

Best,

Jared

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,254 Posts
Jared,

Janet Harmon, Second Winds Music Repair, is the one that I go to - although you'd need to call her if it's an emergency.

I buy my reeds on-line by the case - cannot imagine depending on any local shop for last minute reed needs.

Are you driving through Santa Fe or working in just ABQ and Taos? Check Outpost Productions for music in ABQ.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Taos is pretty sleepy on the surface. If I really needed a reed there, I would have low expectations. I would try to arrive there NOT needing a reed. I don't typically spend a lot of time in Albuquerque. I usually rent a car and enjoy the drive to Santa Fe, but it's a versatile city that will have music stores... and reeds. Oddly enough, Albuquerque also is a destination for violinists looking for a step up fiddle and willing to spend between $500,000.00 to a million or so. That store is Robertsons, and visiting them is on my bucket list (though I don't play violin). Their recital hall is said to be state of the art. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos are truly magical places that are capable of re-assembling you physically, spiritually, and every way imaginable. I envy you getting to spend some time there at this really special autumn time. Don't fail to smell the pinon in the air and let this awesome region affect you!

I'm hoping some locals will log in with where to get a reed in Taos, or a leak fixed in Albuquerque, etc...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,117 Posts
Hey Jared! I'm an Albuquerque native, and I grew up going to the Outpost Performance Space regularly. If there's something good jazz-wise going on in the city, it's probably happening there.

There's also often good music at Scalo, an Italian restaurant on Central at Carlisle in the Nob Hill neighborhood. Some of ABQ's best players play there. Look out for Stu MacAskie, a fantastic pianist, as well as a great saxophonist named Glenn Kostur, who posts pretty regularly on here. He's a hell of a nice guy as well as a great player, so definitely go to one of his gigs if there's one happening.

Lots of other good musicians around town, too: guitarists Lewis Winn and Steve Maase, pianist Pat Rhoads, bassists Asher Barreras and Colin Deuble, the scene is small but tight with some great talent.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
No jazz gigs for me this weekend, sadly. Looking at the Alibi calendar linked above, I would check out Asher Barreras performing Friday night at Ben Michaels. Friday at Scalo is the Square One Quintet, a group I don't know. But checking out their website http://www.squareonequintet.com/ sounds like a groove/jam/pop/jazz kinda thing.

It's the first weekend of Balloon Fiesta, so ABQ will be busy, and there may be other stuff happening that is not listed in the Alibi. You might also consult the Venue section of the Albuquerque Journal (comes out on Friday).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts