Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a cheap ($4!) LP copy of Keith Jarret's "My Song" album with Jan Garbarek. Whenever I listen to it, it's hard not to feel good. Not just relaxed, but actually happier than before I put it on. I realized that I listen to a lot of "difficult" music, and that, as much as I love stuff like that (free jazz, contemporary classical, noise music, etc.), sometimes it's nice to just listen to something pretty.

What albums make you feel good? They don't have to be pretty, necessarily, just beautiful.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Cannonball in Japan is my favorite and it does make me feel good. I can play it over and over - and I do.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Saxophone Colossus. They should dispense it on prescription. It's good for people.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
In a similar vein, Jarrett's "Belonging" and the latest Jan Garbarek CD. Also the Brad Meldau/Joel Frahm duo recording, the Richie Beirach/George Coleman duo "Convergence", MJQ's "For Ellington" and other MJQ recording, much of Jessica William's solo and trio recordings, Mozart's late piano sonatas and symphonies, much Baroque stuff including The Four Seasons and Bach's Brandenburg concerti, chamber music such as the late Beethoven string quartets, Beethoven/Dvorak/Haydn trios,Shubert's Trout Quintet and the Radu Lupu Piano Impromptu recording etc etc.

·
4,147 Posts
Michael Brecker's "Don't Try This at Home" - especially the first song. It is more uplifting than most gospel music.

I have this latin cd by Sancho Panza that is pretty happy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ALBUM .....

Eberhard Weber's 'Fluid Rustle" on ECM

Also his "Yellow Fields" album on ECM!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
STAN GETZ PLAYS.

Sublime.....:D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts

·
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
saintsday said:
The Harder They Come [SOUNDTRACK] Perhaps the greatest movie soundtrack ever, for over 30 years this has been my feel good album. There is a special edition with a second CD with other reggae from the era.

If any of you younger folk don't know this record, go here http://www.amazon.com/Harder-They-C...9854268?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180787271&sr=1-2 now.
I remember in the summer after sophomore year of high school, a friend and I discovered an old copy of that in his dad's basement. This was around the same time we first discovered a certain substance commonly associated with reggae music. It was a good summer, back in the days before responsibility or summer jobs!

·
4,147 Posts
dirty said:
This was around the same time we first discovered a certain substance commonly associated with reggae music.

You grew dreadlocks?;)

·
Prodigal Son and Forum Contributor 2008
10,794 Posts
dirty said:
I remember in the summer after sophomore year of high school, a friend and I discovered an old copy of that in his dad's basement. This was around the same time we first discovered a certain substance commonly associated with reggae music. It was a good summer, back in the days before responsibility or summer jobs!
I played several years as a token in a reggae band. I have few memories. What substance are you reefering to? It seems like those years just went up in smoke. No problem mon.

Album that makes me feel good? Bellavia by Chuck Mangione

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Getz / Gilberto does it for me. That always makes me happy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts