Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to work on this and I'm finding the G-A altissimo sixteenths impossible in Will O the Wisp. Currently, the best fingering alternation I've come up with is 1,3,4,6 for the G to 1,2,3,4,5,6 plus side C for the A. I think this could work, but I was wondering if others have found better fingerings for this tricky spot?
Gracias.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's certainly a tough spot. I don't have the music in front of me, but my suggestions would be as follows
Option 1
G - Front F, 4 and side Bb
A - same as above and add side C

Option 2

G - 1, High F#
A - same as above add side C

Option 2 is VERY sharp!

Happy Albrighting!

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
I've used option 1. It's kind of awkward at first...... but you can definitely get used to it and man oh man have I used that fingering a lot now in other pieces!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll tinker with that one.
Dannel- Tallahassee, eh? Me too. I just finished the MM at FSU and will be mooching off of the saxophone studio here as much as possible. I look forward to hearing you in person!
-Aaron Lohmeyer

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Here's another idea from the cornfields of Iowa:

G: Thumb/Front F/4/sideBb

A: Lift Front F

Simple--and very in tune, unless you voice them too high, which will affect the A much more dramatically. Also works great at the 4th bar of I, using the following for the F#-G# pair:

F#: Thumb/Front F/2/sideBb

G#: Lift 2nd finger LH

This way, only one finger moves between any note pairs, except for A-F#, when you have to put down Front F and 2 while you lift 4th finger.

Have fun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Drakesaxprof-Thanks for the tip. I just tried that out and it its works nicely. Now I just have to find my copy of the Albright and pencil it in.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
I have been messing with G a lot as
134 with side Bb

Here are two other possibilites

134+Bb --> 34+Bb
or
134+Bb --> 13456+Bb+(low)Eb

·
Distinguished Member
637 Posts
The combination:

Actually gives me a Bb. I used this fingering in those arps of the 4th movement in Albright.

I'll definitely see you around FSU then Aaron! I think we may have met back in February when I was auditioning.

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Dannel said:
The combination:

Actually gives me a Bb. I used this fingering in those arps of the 4th movement in Albright.
Interesting--on my SerieIII, it is a clean A, and lift both Front F and 4th finger for the Mvt. IV arpeggios. Every horn seems to respond differently when it comes to altissimo fingerings--what type of alto do you play?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts