Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'We're putting the BAND back together'...

Alan Rubin (February 11, 1943 – June 8, 2011),[1] also known as Mr. Fabulous, was an American musician. He played trumpet, flugelhorn, and piccolo trumpet.

Rubin was a graduate of the Juilliard School of Music. He was a member of the Saturday Night Live Band, with whom he played at the Closing Ceremony of the 1996 Olympic Games. As a member of The Blues Brothers, he portrayed Mr. Fabulous in the 1980 film, the 1998 sequel and was a member of the touring band.

Rubin played with an array of artists, such as Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, Duke Ellington, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Eumir Deodato, Sting, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Frankie Valli, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, B.B. King, Miles Davis, Yoko Ono, Peggy Lee, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Ray Charles and Dr. John.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Terrible news. I've always said he was the best actor out of the Blues Brothers band.

Alan was a great trumpet player who will be sorely missed.

·
Banned
864 Posts
According to the Miami Herald, the cause of death was lung cancer. I had to look this up since I was surprised he left us at a relatively young age (68) --

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/11/2262584/alan-rubin-blues-brothers-trumpeter.html

It never ceases to amaze me how many wind instrument players smoke. I recently found an old vid of Cannonball smoking WHILE playing (or playing between puffs). And he died at an even younger age of course....

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
According to the Miami Herald, the cause of death was lung cancer. I had to look this up since I was surprised he left us at a relatively young age (68) --

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/11/2262584/alan-rubin-blues-brothers-trumpeter.html

It never ceases to amaze me how many wind instrument players smoke. I recently found an old vid of Cannonball smoking WHILE playing (or playing between puffs). And he died at an even younger age of course....
When I was 10 years old or so visiting New Orleans, I remember eating beignets at a cafe and the sax player in the band had a lit cigarette stuck in his keywork. When he stopped playing he would take a puff and put it back. I'll never forget that.

Ray Charles kicked heroin but never could stop smoking cigarettes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I still have the album of the Newport (Jazz Festival) Youth Band from 1959, featuring Alan Rubin and Ronnie Cuber. Fresh-faced 16-year-olds just starting their careers. I'm glad he found some fame, as his talent certainly deserved it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts