Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know what Mpc Al is playing in this video? Also a nice shot of his what I believe to a be a gold plated Radio Improved.....

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Mouthpiece? Very difficult to tell, but the first one that jumps into my head would be a HR Berg Larsen. The horn is definitely a RI or Super. Notice his name engraved on the top lip of the bell....

John

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I recall reading someplace that toward the end, Al was using an RIA rubber mouthpiece.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys- I mostly use a selmer short shank soloist on my RI - but even though a lot is made of getting these in bigger tip openings I use the stock C* and sometimes use it with a harder reed setup. The only issue is with the tuning that the mpc has to be pulled out quite far and rather near the edge of the cork. Teddy Edwards used a similar looking long profile piece to Al's here in his later playing- perhaps they discovered something. I read in another post Teddy used to sand down the mpc edges on a vandoren (?)
Al's - It definately does look like berg too though . I'm not familiar with a RIA- i will check it out. Just looking for some alternative mpc's

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I use the stock C* and sometimes use it with a harder reed setup. The only issue is with the tuning that the mpc has to be pulled out quite far and rather near the edge of the cork.
You could always try using a long shank Selmer Soloist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts