Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been listening a lot to Zoot Sims and Al Cohn recently. I'm really starting to listen to Al Cohn's playing more carefully. I'm interested to hear forum members views on his playing style, particular records you like, and any anecdotes etc.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
Al Cohn is great; he's become one of my favorite tenormen. Check out Scoobysax's transcription of Tenor Conclave. There's also a great series of recordings on Mosaic which I just started digging, Al Cohn, Joe Newman, and Freddie Green. I also like his work on Tour de Force, thirty years later, where he's teamed up with Scott Hamilton and Buddy Tate. East Stroudsburg University in Pennsylvania hosts the Al Cohn Jazz Collection and publishes a great newsletter called The Note which features stories about Al and musicians who played with him. A gifted arranger as well as a swinging player — and from everything I've heard, a great guy as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those four album CDs seem like a bargain but the music has been ruined by bad remastering. I bought the Zoot one but the sound quality was so poor compared to the old vinyl copy I have of one of the four albums that I slung it in the bin.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts

·
2,761 Posts
Another great reissue by Mosaic — The Brothers. Al is joined by Richie Kamuca and Bill Perkins — great arrangements! It's actually hard to tell them apart as they're all heavily influenced by Prez. I recognize Al's style on some of the cuts; I'm a bit less certain on others. Got to go more by the choice of notes rather than the tone. I'm not sure if Mosaic still carries this disc but it is available online if you look around.

·
6,862 Posts
Great player! His record Standards of Excellence has always been one of my favs.

A great Canadian player you might like in that school/tradition is Fraser MacPherson. Great stuff with Gtr/Bs/Ts trio. Like listening to a perfect dry martini!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEmzxaSkMZ8&feature=related

·
2,761 Posts
A great Canadian player you might like in that school/tradition is Fraser MacPherson. Great stuff with Gtr/Bs/Ts trio. Like listening to a perfect dry martini!
Thanks, rleitch, for the link — very apropos to the Cohn vibe.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great stuff everyone- Plenty to get my teeth into! I just watched a couple of nice youtube videos by doing a search on youtube for 'woody herman all-stars' from the mid 80's -and Al was playing with that group. Nice.

·
2,870 Posts
Another great reissue by Mosaic — The Brothers. Al is joined by Richie Kamuca and Bill Perkins — great arrangements! It's actually hard to tell them apart as they're all heavily influenced by Prez. I recognize Al's style on some of the cuts; I'm a bit less certain on others. Got to go more by the choice of notes rather than the tone. I'm not sure if Mosaic still carries this disc but it is available online if you look around.
I love that arrangement of Blue skies

1 - 12 of 12 Posts