Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been seeing these and they seem pretty cool. I was wondering which one I should buy. First of all, I've read a few other forums about this but they all delve in to electronic language I don't understand. For example, do I need to plug it in to my computer? Do I need to buy a program on top of the instrument? My main concern is ease of use because I'm not that great with music software :( , so which one is best? Also is there a noticable sound quality difference between the two? If I do get it I plan on playing more synthetic sounds because I personally think trying to copy existing instruments electronically doesn't sound that great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the USB one have the same ammount of sounds as 4000S? I am mainly interested if it has good electronic sounds

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 4000s is capable of holding a lot more sounds than the USB because you can load in your own sound sources. The USB only has presets; which are not very good anyway IMO.

N.B The 4000s has to connect to your computer via a MIDI interface, whereas -as the name suggests - the USB connects directly as plug 'n' play.
Does the 4000s require additional computer software knowledge? Or can I just plug in choose a sound and play like how you said with the USB.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading between the lines I would say that what you are looking for is either a EWI USB or a 5000. With the 4000 you need a sound generator (something like the Yamaha VL70 that Ballard mentioned, which also acts as an interface).

If you can afford it get the 5000; better build quality, easy to use, and its wireless so you're not tied to the computer. The USB is a cheaper alternative.

A word of caution: after playing with the preset sounds for an hour or two you are going to want something better (soundwise).

I have a 5000, but I use it with Sample Modeling's virtual instruments and various soft synths (Omnisphere, etc). I couldn't live with just the onboard sounds!
Did you have to buy the new sounds or do you just download them from the internet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a lot of fun just playing my saxophone/flute through different virtual guitar amps and other effects in my software- I use Reason- it's very intuitive.
Are there any good free programs because it seems a bit much to buy the EWI and on top of that another couple hundred bucks on a program just for extra sounds

1 - 5 of 5 Posts