Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been seeing these and they seem pretty cool. I was wondering which one I should buy. First of all, I've read a few other forums about this but they all delve in to electronic language I don't understand. For example, do I need to plug it in to my computer? Do I need to buy a program on top of the instrument? My main concern is ease of use because I'm not that great with music software :( , so which one is best? Also is there a noticable sound quality difference between the two? If I do get it I plan on playing more synthetic sounds because I personally think trying to copy existing instruments electronically doesn't sound that great.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Welcome KingKoopa,
If your main priority is ease of use: plug and play (USB) functionality and stock built in sounds (variable quality) then either the EWI USB or EWI 5000. The 5000 has the benefit of using a whole range of sound generating software via a sequencer host (Reaper, Ableton, Logic, etc). It acts as a MIDI input device just like a keyboard but with the added usability of breath control, etc. The EWI USB can be picked up quite cheaply now that the 5000 has arrived, but it does not have the flexibilty or build quality of the 5000.

If your main concern is programming your own unique sounds then the EWI 4000s is probably a better bet. You can also access a range of decent quality sounds from web sites like Patchman.

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/WindControllerBanks.html

For a combination of ease of use and expandability/flexability then I would suggest the 5000. But bear in mind that most of the in-built/pre-programmed sounds in both the USB and the 5000 will probably disappoint you.

3,364 Posts
Check out Kobi Rivlin on soundcloud, if you are interested in sound modelling software. He is a member here, but not sure of his ID. Anyway I think you can contact him on soundcloud he makes some very nice sounds with the EWI. For presets the VL70 with the patchman chip is probably all you will need. Adequate for me at least.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Awia USB, don't waste your money. I is supposed to be easy to use the problem is that Awai doesn't keep up with the changes in the OS. It didn't work well with Mac Yosemite or Windows 8. Granted I haven't tried with Windows 10 or El Capitain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the USB one have the same ammount of sounds as 4000S? I am mainly interested if it has good electronic sounds

·
Banned
781 Posts
The 4000s is capable of holding a lot more sounds than the USB because you can load in your own sound sources. The USB only has presets; which are not very good anyway IMO.

N.B The 4000s has to connect to your computer via a MIDI interface, whereas -as the name suggests - the USB connects directly as plug 'n' play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 4000s is capable of holding a lot more sounds than the USB because you can load in your own sound sources. The USB only has presets; which are not very good anyway IMO.

N.B The 4000s has to connect to your computer via a MIDI interface, whereas -as the name suggests - the USB connects directly as plug 'n' play.
Does the 4000s require additional computer software knowledge? Or can I just plug in choose a sound and play like how you said with the USB.

·
Banned
781 Posts
Reading between the lines I would say that what you are looking for is either a EWI USB or a 5000. With the 4000 you need a sound generator (something like the Yamaha VL70 that Ballard mentioned, which also acts as an interface).

If you can afford it get the 5000; better build quality, easy to use, and its wireless so you're not tied to the computer. The USB is a cheaper alternative.

A word of caution: after playing with the preset sounds for an hour or two you are going to want something better (soundwise).

I have a 5000, but I use it with Sample Modeling's virtual instruments and various soft synths (Omnisphere, etc). I couldn't live with just the onboard sounds!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reading between the lines I would say that what you are looking for is either a EWI USB or a 5000. With the 4000 you need a sound generator (something like the Yamaha VL70 that Ballard mentioned, which also acts as an interface).

If you can afford it get the 5000; better build quality, easy to use, and its wireless so you're not tied to the computer. The USB is a cheaper alternative.

A word of caution: after playing with the preset sounds for an hour or two you are going to want something better (soundwise).

I have a 5000, but I use it with Sample Modeling's virtual instruments and various soft synths (Omnisphere, etc). I couldn't live with just the onboard sounds!
Did you have to buy the new sounds or do you just download them from the internet?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I have a lot of fun just playing my saxophone/flute through different virtual guitar amps and other effects in my software- I use Reason- it's very intuitive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a lot of fun just playing my saxophone/flute through different virtual guitar amps and other effects in my software- I use Reason- it's very intuitive.
Are there any good free programs because it seems a bit much to buy the EWI and on top of that another couple hundred bucks on a program just for extra sounds

·
Banned
781 Posts
Reason really improved when it finally allowed the use of external audio sources (like your sax and flute). I can almost hear your Bitches Brew freak outs now. :headbang:

·
Banned
781 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts