Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody knows the differences between those two mouthpieces? (Aizen SO tenor and Aizen SO tenor Kurogane Titanium Resin)?

What about the sound? What about the sensation? Is the higher price of the "Kurogane" worth in something or is it only a commercial gimmik?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Commercial gimmick.
Having said that I still think that the Aizen mouthpieces are some of the best made mouthpieces on the market.
Their SO soprano pieces are terrific Soloist copies and I really like their Jazzmaster alto piece.
The Baritone LS piece is a great alternative to a Link Slant piece.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are going to play a Soloist copy, you will not make the mistake of choosing it. I played SO abot 3 years and I own it to this day, then I tried Kurogane about year ago in the music store - playing alternately on both, I did not notice any significant "embouchure" difference. I tried to hear the difference in sound ... maybe I was suggested by different material, so I had the impression that Kurogane is a bit sharper and louder. But I didn't buy it, the difference was too insignificant for me. I played Kurogane several times alternately with SO (same parts and songs) - a very similar impression. I had the impression that top sounds are a bit easier to play, but maybe I just suggested an "sparkle" advertising description?
I fully agree with what B Flat mentioned above, Aizen makes great mouthpieces for both tenor, alto and soprano. You won't be disappointed with any of them, if you have the opportunity - play on both and take what you like more. And try tenor Aizen LS model - also perfect mouthpiece.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts