Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello blowers,
I'd like your opinion about these mouthpieces.

Quote: "Aizen NY:...in the spirit of the famous Meyer New York mouthpieces"
With its signature rounded side wall and roll-over baffle, the AIZEN NY offers the very finest a musician can want from a jazz saxophone mouthpiece--rich, vibrant sound and full, glossy tone...outstanding responsiveness and projection.
Having fine-combed through the best of the best in vintage saxophone mouthpieces, AIZEN brought its specialized skills and finest craftspeople to bear.
The result was the AIZEN NY, combining top of the range hand-finishing with the vintage mouthpiece sound reborn.

Aizen NY Jazz Master: Hat a beauty! This is a very luscious sounding piece and is a variation of the very popular Aizen New York model. On the surface it looks very similar but if you look very carefully you'll see that it has a deeper chamber and as a result the sound is slightly rebalanced…for me it is a perfect mix of highs, mids and lows. There are a lot of 'top heavy', high baffle alto mouthpieces out there but this one brings back the concept of having a solid 'core' to the tone before any elaborations are made. Whilst having a medium large chamber it also manages to play incredibly freely…quite an impressive feat!" …..
[email protected]

Does anyone has tried it?
Thanks a lot

:tweety:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
I love the NY but haven't tried the Jazz master. I would guess it might be too dark for me.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I tried both, and got the Jazzmaster: more mellow, more flexible, more core sound, very easy blowing, not dark at all, but not harsh. The NY was fine, but seemed less complex and sang less. You can hear the difference, I seem to remember, on Marshall McDonald's YouTube videos, where he plays both.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
I played the first Aizen that came out that was a limited run. What was that? The NY or something else?
I think that was a predecesor to the NY. I seem to remember something about the engraving design being different also on the mouthpiece of the earlier ones. The Jazz Master model came later… maybe a year after the NY.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi Simon,
I don't sound as good on it as you! I'll put some Soundclick things up when/if I get time. But it is a great piece, no question.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
I just sent them an email to see if they will let me review them. I'm very curious because the reason I sold the original Aizen was it leaned to the bright side for me and I wanted something darker. I'm wondering how the NY and Jazzmaster compare to the original one I tried.
!!! I found it to play darker than the NY, and I'm using it exclusively now. I had to mangle my neck to get it in tune, but it plays great for me. Did you find the NY darker than the first-run?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Tuning adjustments just involved getting my repairer at the excellent Wood, and Reed in Cambridge to shorten the necks a bit: you can do it by trial and error - it was more than I thought it would be. As I don't have any alto mouthpieces that don't go way on, that was not a problem. With Vandoren V16s, which need to go even further on, you can usually alter the mouthpiece, I suspect the very hard material the Aizen is made of would mean this was not a good idea.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,787 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
... And what do you think about the new OS model?

:tweety:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Okay well, I'm not a pro sax player but I do have ears.
My Vandoren V16, A6 M was what I always believed to be the perfect mouthpiece for me.. until I tried these out.

The NY Aizen 7, (silver decorated) is not at all what I look for in a mouth piece, it really sounds like my NY Meyer bright clear.
The NY Aizen Jazz Master 7 on the contrary really surprised me. Very responsive, deep sound which reacted immediately to whatever I tried to do.

At £250 I didn't buy it immediatley, but returned several times to check I wasn't hallucinating. I WASN'T!

I returned to France to try out my own V16 and felt disappointed that it didn't react in the same way.

Why are'tn Aizen distributing in France?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts