Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing the tenor for almost 4 years now, but couldn't find a more appropriate place to post this. I took a year-long break from the saxophone when I moved to a different state, but now I seem to have a plethora of tone problems I don't remember from before.

Particularly, I have a VERY airy tone when playing, and the only thing that seems to fix this is loosening my embouchure to the point of a gravely sound that I can't control.

This may have nothing to do with it, but I also don't get any spit in my horn itself. All my saliva kind of accumulates in my mouth and I simply swallow it, which seems to be the opposite problem as my peers. Any help would be appreciated, as none of my instructors or friends have any clue what my problem is. Playing on other saxophones and mouthpieces yields the same result. :cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Well I was gonna say it might be the instrument until I read the last portion of your post.

Starting up again can be one of the hardest things ever.

I know if I go a week without playing it takes me 2 just to get back to where I was.

Long tones and breath support. Overtones and Imagination of the tone you want to produce. It could take some time before you are fully back to where you used to be.

In the beginning Long tones should be a good ten minutes of your practice routine. There's tons of information about them here and different ways to practice them.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention it's been about a year and a half since I started up again; The tone I'm producing is vastly different than the "normal" sax sound.. I feel like something I'm doing with my mouth or air is somehow incorrect.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Does it feel hard to blow? It could be that after your layoff, your air support has decreased and your reed is now too hard for where your air is. If you can't get the reed to vibrate sufficiently, that could cause an airy sound. If you're feeling a lot of resistance, try a reed a 1/2 strength softer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Does it feel hard to blow? It could be that after your layoff, your air support has decreased and your reed is now too hard for where your air is. If you can't get the reed to vibrate sufficiently, that could cause an airy sound. If you're feeling a lot of resistance, try a reed a 1/2 strength softer.
Good tip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried: Reed size changes, less lower lip, tighter embouchure, and different mouthpieces, all with little improvement. The best of the things I've tried is using my bottom lip less, but the sound of my low E up to middle B is harsh and uncontrollable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts