Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Yanagisawa B901 Bari (Otto Link STM 7*), Yamaha Advantage Tenor, Martin Comm. III Alto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@bhebert You could always find a local rental. Explain to them your requirements for travel and get it insured. Another option, ask Sax Alley if they can rent you a case for the outing.
One thing you’re doing right. Planning ahead. Look up music stores in Dallas. Send them an email of what you need. Two years ago I helped a member locate a rental in South Africa for an outing. Pick up the phone and make it happen.
I did actually send Tim an email about case inquiries. His outlook was that a new case probably wouldn't help with protecting the case from bag handlers and that the best thing I could do is go with what I have with the keys corked shut and pray it doesn't get damaged. I don't think that he has anything for me to rent there, but I might check... Locally would feel a little bit better as far as playing experience goes, but whatever I would end up getting would have to be viewed as a disposable instrument by the seller/rental in order for it to go through ok, which would probably be hard to do with a bari. I do like the idea a lot more than renting one in Dallas though, especially since I would have time to warm up to whatever I get.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's what I would do: Ask your band director to contact a local (to Dallas) band director. I don't see any reason why they couldn't easily arrange for you to use a school bari from the area. Even better if that school is sending their own band. They should completely understand your hesitancy to fly with your own horn - it's not like this is a trumpet you can slide under the seat in front of you.

I know you're worried about tuning when using a different bari, but honestly I wouldn't even worry about that. Pick up whatever horn you're borrowing, and spend 10-15 minutes with a tuner. Get your mouthpiece into position to be mostly in tune, and make a mental note of any notes that want to deviate. This is a WAY better option than potentially paying hundreds for a new case and still potentially paying hundreds more for damages.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
2,091 Posts
I have a B-902, and have flown with it a couple of times. That Yani case will not fit the overhead. What I have done is buy a Bam case, and pay for early boarding. That one will fit in the overhead, but you have to make sure you board early. An expensive way to go.

probably your best option is to rent or borrow.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
I did a European tour using the SKB Pro case with wheels. The case got banged around but the sax was perfect. I think I’d try to travel with a school sax in your situation. There might be a compromise in performance but trashing your own horn isn’t worth the risk.

Reactions: bhebert

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,553 Posts
As far as cork, there should be no problem sanding the cork down. Anyone would do that even with a rental.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,604 Posts
Last time I flew with a bari, I bought a used SKB golf club case, put the bari in a form fitting gig bag, and wrapped it in egg crate foam inside the golf bag. I carried the bari around in the much smaller gig bag and the golf case protected it fine while checked in on the planes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,590 Posts
the skb golf bag is a great idea. i have one and often thought of putting a bari sax in a gig bag and putting it inside

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your tenor should be no problem. I just returned from Boston, where I had a connecting flight each way. I carried on my tenor in its SKB case and as I was stepping on the plane asked the flight attendant "Would you like this in the closet or overhead?" All were very nice and directed me to their preference. The final score was 2 closet, 2 overhead. Honestly it was the least stink-eye I have ever gotten when boarding by asking that simple question and giving them the power to choose two equally good options (for me anyway)!.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,713 Posts
Normally I don't answer with a question, but I simply can't help myself. Is a Bari sax NOT a musical instrument?
The references you supplied are useful for instruments that fit in the overhead but don't help the OP very much.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts