Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the "funny noise" post yesterday and I continue to analyze it and get some new things. I do not know "lower octave key" is correct name or not as what I means. It is the smallest hole on the upper body related with octave lever. Either it or the one on neck is open with pressing octave lever

First of all, the funny noise sounds like air flow coming from lower octave hole (as pic shows). It only comes when I played "do" in Bb in middle pitch(press all bottons and octave lever). when it comes to "re" and higher it is OK and noise is gone.

The reason that I assume flow sound come from lower octave key is based on my experiment as follows: first I played "do" in middle pitch without pressing octave(by changing the embouchure). Then I slowly press octave lever, as soon as the lower octave key open, I can hear the air flow sound!

Now the quetion is, is it because I am new to sop, or something else? I just cannot figure out why there is flow sound coming from that hole and how it generates. I wish I could have someone nearby to have a check but not actually.

By the way, as you can see from pics, when the lower octave key is close, the hole is in contact with the edge of the pad, not the center of the pad. But still the pad cover the hole.

First pic: opened lower octave is at middle; second pic: side view of the opened lower octave key

View attachment 26698 View attachment 26699

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
What kind of horn is it? It might need to be opened up a tad, or maybe there is something obstructing it. The pictures looks like it is venting well, so I have no idea why you would hear that sound other that maybe there is a bur in it or something obstructing it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
It could be that the pad is not opening enough, dirt in the hole or a loos pad skin that is vibrating. Is there a lot of water around it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts