Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone :) About 2 years ago I had 4 teeth out, 2 from the bottom and 2 from the top. Ever since then I have been leaking air out of either side of my mouth when I play.. which Is quite annoying..
Please can anyone suggest a solution to this? :|

Thankyou :D regards GroovySaxChick

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Teeth from where? The front or back of the mouth?
Teeth from the back shouldn't be an issue. You just have a bad embouchure that needs fixing.
Teeth from the front could be and issue with supporting the mouthpiece.
The only reason I could see that there would be escaping air is that you are using an overly tight "Paper clip lip" type of embouchure.
Try thinking more along the lines of a drawstring pouch when you form your embouchure and see if that helps a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I had that issue with a metal MPC for alto. It was just too narrow. If you're using metal, you may find a traditional HR piece may fix the issue. I hesitate to say you may just have a big mouth...:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had that issue with a metal MPC for alto. It was just too narrow. If you're using metal, you may find a traditional HR piece may fix the issue. I hesitate to say you may just have a big mouth...:)
Or, you might try a different metal piece. All metal mouthpieces are not created equal.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I knew a very fine studio and show woodwind doubler who leaked air. It was obvious when you were close to him but it couldn't be heard on recordings or broadcasts. I also knew several clarinetists that leaked air. If your sound is real good a little air leak will not be heard off stage. As long as it's not louder than your actual tone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think I sound better when i leak air out the sides of my mouth than when i scrunch up my embouchure to prevent the air from escaping. I also play a really narrow mouthpiece. It honestly doesn't matter that much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It seems like when you reach a certain level (Ben Webster), air escaping can be add a Good effect

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Implants are your best friend.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That is what I meant. What was on your mind? :tongue2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts