Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Seeker Of A Clever Title.
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can march bari... and the director encouraged me to (since we don't have a bari player). At first I was like no, no, no, but once I think about it, bari is a really fun instrument and it's not too bad if you use a harness. What do you guys think? Suffer but play a loud and fun instrument? Get through the marching season easier by just playing alto?

BTW, I will most like play bari during concert band though. All the benefits and none of the downsides.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,581 Posts
Suck it up, Be a MAN.

MARCH WITH THAT BAD BOY!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I can march bari... and the director encouraged me to (since we don't have a bari player). At first I was like no, no, no, but once I think about it, bari is a really fun instrument and it's not too bad if you use a harness. What do you guys think? Suffer but play a loud and fun instrument? Get through the marching season easier by just playing alto?

BTW, I will most like play bari during concert band though. All the benefits and none of the downsides.
As long as its the school's baritone go at it. If it's your horn do what I did -- be a drum major. ;)

I hated playing an instrument in marching band :x

·
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^DO WHAT THE LADY SAYS! Why put a precious alto through marching?

I seriously wonder how some people march with the low brass instruments.
Nah, my marching alto's not precious. It's a yamaha :twisted::twisted::twisted:

BTW it is the school bari, but it's HEAVY! Try doing snaps to attention with an instrument like that. You might break your wrists :D.

·
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plus there's also the fact that if I play bari, I'll have to be in with the tenor section :shock::shock:...

·
Registered
730 Posts
I wouldn't bother. Baris seem loud up close but it doesn't carry easily, so you'll be busting your butt for virtually no gain for the group. Just my personal opinion. March a real baritone.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tried to march bari for a couple of years but I'd of been the only one, so i switched to trombone instead. Its been my experience that the low brass section has the best people. A lot of jerks play sax in high school :(

·
Premium Member
26,253 Posts
Any band director that marches a bari only does so because his lower brass sux and he's desperate. That's my opinion.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have played bari sax, tenor sax, alto sax, and now tuba in my marching band. Don't bother with the bari, it won't be heard. Suck it up and learn tuba:twisted::twisted::twisted:.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Edinburgh tatoo very nice!

Is that you visible at 5.20 ?
Actually, it's in Oslo (Norwegian Military Tattoo), and yes, that's me! I was the shortest of all the saxophonists (I'm 5'7 / 175 cm), not particularly beefy by any respect, and still I was carrying the biggest saxophone.

From time to time it hurt really bad, but I think I did well. In most settings you don't have to hold the bari the way I did, and with a good harness you can get a long way. It's feasible, albeit not necessarily comfortable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
kb, that was an impressive performance. It's more evidence that matching should be reserved for the military. Civilian bands should just amble around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am on my fourth year of marching bari sax for the 200+ member marching band at my school. I am a bari player for all aspects of my music (concert, jazz, marching) and playing bari for marching was solely my choice. I have never used a harness for playing bari sax and I don't plan to. You will grow accustomed to the weight after a little while into marching season, maybe a week or so. Playing bari for marching band will definitely keep your low sax embouchure in shape for the concert season and will help greatly if you're planning on belting out bari solos for jazz band.

On the subject of instrument support, only REAL men use a neck strap for marching bari.

·
Registered
799 Posts
As long as its the school's baritone go at it.
Unfortunately, though, our school horn (the nicest one, a YBS-62) has been beat to crap by idiots that have used it for marching band and jazz band. I swear, there is hardly anyone that should be trusted with using a bari (at least at my school). They don't seem to understand how nice the bari should be, but the YBS-62 looks like crap now and is severely out of adjustment. I wish I was in charge of who got to use the baris, and how... :x

·
Banned
2,163 Posts
Yeah, poor school baris. Wait, poor school SAXES. Why is there even a 62 there anyways? They don't need a pro sax at a school where players are gonna treat the that way. My school has three 52s, beat-up badly. They miraculasly play... sort of. Why don't schools just buy chinese saxes (Not the OK-ish ones, the cheap ones) and throw them out after a few years (or year)?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Unfortunately, though, our school horn (the nicest one, a YBS-62) has been beat to crap by idiots that have used it for marching band and jazz band. I swear, there is hardly anyone that should be trusted with using a bari (at least at my school). They don't seem to understand how nice the bari should be, but the YBS-62 looks like crap now and is severely out of adjustment. I wish I was in charge of who got to use the baris, and how... :x
Ahh, yes - at my previous school all the bigger instruments had the crap beaten out of them. The tubas managed to get dented in a number of places (including places I didn't know were reachable) and barely function - and this older Yamaha bari that we have is barely playable - there are HUGE dents in the bell.

I hate how bad the condition of some of the instruments were - years of no swabbing led to numerous green spots in the case and in the instrument itself - huge lacquer deterioation all over the instruments. Most of them aren't even that old.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts